JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What on earth have they got in common?

Well, more than you might think.

Here it is on my skinny ol' wrist -
1638222869674.png
Y'see, earlier this month I sent off my beloved old Breitling Navitimer to have its mainspring replaced, as well as a much-needed service and oil change, kinda. I love it dearly, and it is always something special to see it on my wrist.

The story of its acquisition is quite funny - well, I think it is - you might have different view.

I got it in a deal back in 1987 - a pal had turned up at the range with the wrong-sized Minié bullets - it was the Enfield match, and his were sized for a Springfield. I had the correct size, and gave him what he needed to compete. I beat his score anyhow, but afterwards he came over to me and said - I notice you like big watches [I was wearing my 1971 Flightmaster], I've got one you can have if you make me some more of those bullets.

A month later, he was as good as his word, and handed over a little plastic bag. In that way I got my Navitimer in exchange for a hundred lumps of lead.

There was just one small catch - it was actually in pieces in the little plastic bag.

Luckily for me, one of the squadrons on the same base as me had a watch-crazy instrument technician who had been trained, before he joined the RAF, by Rolex. He put it back together for me and charged me the same for doing it as the price of the parts. £27.50 for an hour hand - missing from the bag o'bits. Times two. So my Breitling 806 Navitimer cost me £55. I think it was a good deal, don't you?

Anyhow, just in case you may ever have wondered where all the money goes when buying ANY quality mechanical chronograph, like this, or getting it serviced when it inevitably needs a careful going over, here is a video to enlighten you....

Last Edited:
That is a fun story. But lookin' at that watch and the thought of getting it apart......and back together......
Woof!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top