JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The roll marks look sharp. So I don't think the gun has been refinished.

The pictures don't show the high polished of a Python. The finish looks rough, dull and even brown in spots. The bluing on the rear sights looks thin. My guess is that this is just a thick coat of oil and bad lighting in the picture?

A trigger shoe has been added. And gold paint to the lettering. So it could be that someone shot this gun a lot? And the finish is thinning? Without better pictures I cant confirm the condition of the finish. And that goes a long ways as to the value of the gun.

Wipe the gun down with a 100% cotton cloth. And take some pictures in the sunshine. Pythons like bright light. And use the macro setting.

As for the trigger shoe? If you remove it there will most likely be marks to the trigger bluing. I would take it off and see what if any damage is there. Anyways it's not original. And takes away from the gun.

Comparing your Python picture to one of mine. Do you see a difference?
But I would not be surprised if yours was just as nice when cleaned up. Maybe nicer?

Last Edited:
Looks like a nice original Python! Lighting is off in the pics but oh well! Head outside and snap some !

Leave the trigger shoe in place. And enjoy!

Beautiful firearm sir!

I will do better pics and better lighting. Was 9pm in my kitchen after a long day! Thanks fellas I really appreciate all the input. And now I will be shopping for a shooter quality one so I can shoot the hell out of that one!

Beautiful revolver. I had a 70's 6 inch blued Python that I purchased used in about 1981. It too, was mint, and I paid $400 for it at the time. I wound up selling it because it was just too pretty to shoot, and for what I sold it for, I was able to buy a new S&W Model 586 and a bunch of ammo and reloading components. Wish I could have kept it but sure enjoyed shooting the heck out of that early 586, and the others that followed.

coltpr.jpg

2100 :). But I'm all about a fair deal for all.
$2100 with original Colt box (there are fake colt boxes out there) and original proper colt medallion grips and original finish on the gun.. you did well on price. You can go over to the Colt Forum and the folks over there will give you a pretty good idea.

When I saw the ad on Armslist two years ago for an original owner mint 1984 brilliant polished stainless steel 6" Python for $1100.00 cash, I jumped on it.
I wasn't the first person to call, but I was close by and he agreed to meet me in 15 minutes at my bank.
He also told me that he would only wait 10 minutes, then he would get back to some of the previous callers.
His phone never stopped ringing while I examined the pistol.
Here's my advise, never sell that Python, because you will only regret it.
I could double my money, but what would I replace it with that's comparable to Colt's best revolver.
Are you sure the gun is polished stainless or nickel?
I was always under the ASSumption that pythons were never made with stainless.
And medic, I think pythons are up pretty high right now even if they are refinished.
And I thought $1000 was ridiculous for one back in the late 90s:rolleyes:

Was that trigger shoe on it when you bought it? That's gotta' go, and here's hoping the screws somehow didn't make their typical marks.
Who put gold in the rollmark?

Your photos aren't good enough to assess the finish - it looks like there's wear to the blueing, and hopefully what looks like small scrtches to the cylinder are only your fingerprints. In the photos the finish does not look like Royal Blue - but again, the photos are not good enough to tell for sure. More light and less jiggle - use a tripod if you have one. And quit cranking up the color saturation - it doesn't help.