JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

Sorry you can't comment on the Youtube, but the immense confusion over what children can and can't see makes making comments, uh, confusing, to say the least. I guess the semantic gap is too great, but I really don't understand how to be compliant with the YT format.

Here's a few stills -
upload_2020-1-22_15-42-45.png

upload_2020-1-22_15-43-14.png
upload_2020-1-22_15-44-1.png

This doodad is a barrel harmoniser, and cost exactly ten times more than the rifle.

The old Tasco scope was one of two I bought from a fellow shooter in MT, now passed away. the other one is a x18, and it's on one of my two BSA Martini Intl MkII rifles. I'll post the video on that if anybody is interested..

The original scope of this design came from John Unertl [look 'em u on Wiki - I wrote some of that a while back]. It was intended to be fitted to long range target scopes of ALL calibres in the late 30's, and because of that its weight and mass meant that it was going to get a good a$$-kicking when applied to a centre-fire rifle. So basically, the scope tube must be permitted to move at the moment of recoil, and to facilitate that the scope body has rails machined into it that slide in grooved mounts. I've indicated them below as best as I can with VVVVV.

The spring, which is pretty stout, ensures that it returns to battery in the same place each time. During WW2 the USMC adopted the x10 version of the scope as standard, but, like their successors in Vietnam, found that the spring caught up in the undergrowth. All that meant was that it had to be returned to battery
on each firing.

1580551889256.png

Here's a couple of views showing the Unertl x18 on one of my BSA rifles - you've seen it before, but I think it's v. pretty - no spring here, though. See the rail on top, right?

1580551975199.png

1580551157443.png

The Tasco T707 is scope is a somewhat cheaper version of the same thing - also made by Fecker, Bausch & Lomb, Redfield and a few others, including one over here in yUK.

They all found their home on the .22 comps target range in the so-called English Match, which consisted of a number of shots at 50 and 100 yards in which a scope was permitted. The Unertl scope on the BSA, according to DeWayne Greiner, THE Unertl maven, was made in 1952 and is called the 2" Varmint with calibrated head, as the front optic can be rotated against a scale of distance calibrations - they are pretty much spot-on, too.

1580551118530.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads