JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yup. Read older books about guns and it's not an uncommon term. Clip meant a "clip in" type of magazine, as opposed to a tubular or non removable mag.

Now a days we see people getting their panties in a bunch when someone uses the term...

IMG_3494.JPG

I have just seen guys chase off new guys to firearms off by being jerks. I have been shooting for 31 years so I don't plan on stopping. I have noticed that it is new shooters who feel they have to tear people down to have a sense of superiority who go after new shooters on this topic. 90% of the time I call em "mags." No, technically mag is not a correct term either. I do call them clips sometimes, mostly on the guns I learned to shoot on, because when I was learning, thats what the guys who taught me, and taught me safety called them (and some of these... use clips which fill the magazine. In fact other than my 10/22, my first 3 other guns use clips.) It's not gentle correction out there. And frequently it has been some fairly new shooter from the internet being a bubblegummer (I have no idea what word I would use here, so I went with the forum censor.) to old vets, people who do use clips, and others.

But I hate it when someone tries to be smug to either new folks or others for something so asinine. It gives us all a bad name.

Basically, to me its an issue which tells me more about you as a person and how you treat people, than it does about your knowledge. If you knew the number of times numbskulls have misguidedly corrected my brother and I in regards to SKS stripper clips, it would boggle the mind. Generally speaking, correction of terminology that I have witnessed strikes me as new and insecure. And yes, I have crossed paths with some real idiots over the years who make us all look bad.

I'd rather somebody use an anachronistic term and learn good gun safety, and double check his backstop before firing. I'd rather we welcome people in general.
You're reading way too much into this. But please, do go on. :rolleyes:

You can just say mag instead of mag-a-zine. Or a Cartridge Induction Container or Fluffalumps.

I know what people mean when they say they have great clips. But I cut my own hair.

It's all in good fun. :) And I have a few clips round from my SKS days.

Just imagine, "gay" used to mean "happy".
The language is constantly changing and adding new stuff like "Man Bun".
Most of the time you know what folks mean.

This thread is far from being mean-spirited....just some good, clean fun.

:)

Cool old book! I have a similar one around here somewhere.

I know what a magazine, stripper clip, enblock clip are. I call them by name because they are different! I don't worry a lick about what others use. I'm not the loading, feeding, ammo police! I lead by example not snide corrections! :cool:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top