JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Willys-Jeep-22-1600x1065.jpg
1951 Willys M38 Jeep
Reading time: about 2 minutes.

The Willys M38 Jeep was the revised and updated version of the civilian-specification CJ-3A, which itself was an update of the venerable WWII era Willys Jeep MB. Willys developed the M38 to supply the US military for the Korean War, although by the end of the conflict most of the Jeeps that had been used were actually modified WWII units.

Significant engineering went into the M38, and it benefitted from the many lessons learned in the years producing the original Jeep and the CJ-3A. The frame and suspension was reinforced for additional strength and durability, a far more reliable 24-volt, waterproof electrical system was installed by using two 12 volt batteries in series, a new sealed vent system was used for the transmission, diffs, and transfer case – and a new braking system was used.

Outwardly the appearance remained almost indistinguishable for non-Jeep experts, but a quick way to spot an M38 is to look at the windshield and headlights. The M38 has a single pane windshield, and the headlights protrude – fitted with a wire protector to stop rouge branches from cracking the glass.

The exceptionally tidy Willys M38 you see here has been through a full nut-and-bolt restoration, and equipped with an extensive list of period-correct accessories and parts, including a .50-caliber air-cooled machine gun and a .30 caliber water-cooled machine gun. Neither of these are functional, however the .50 cal is fitted with a propane and oxygen system that allows it to fire authentic-sounding shots, which is sure to delight your local law enforcement.

Elsewhere it's been fitted with a period-correct telephone, radio, gas can, helmet, shovel, axe, spare tire, and an operational siren. RM Sotheby's have estimated that it has a value of between $30,000 and $50,000 USD – making it an almost affordable addition to the collection for many enthusiasts. If you'd like to read more about it or register to bid you can click here to view the listing.

Willys-Jeep-22-740x492.jpg

Willys-Jeep-20-1-740x492.jpg

Willys-Jeep-19-1-740x494.jpg

Willys-Jeep-18-1-740x492.jpg

Willys-Jeep-17-1-740x492.jpg

Willys-Jeep-16-1-740x492.jpg

Willys-Jeep-15-1-740x492.jpg

Willys-Jeep-14-1-740x492.jpg

Willys-Jeep-13-1-740x1112.jpg
more pics;
1951 Willys M38 Jeep

That is not only an amazing piece of history but a beautiful work of art.

I want one. But my bank account doesn't allow me to spend money in that fashion.
It says somthing like "insufficient funds" or something like that

My Grand Dad bought one as surplus after the war and we have kept it in the family ever since! My brothers and cousins and I all share the use of it as my grand dad wanted! It's restored to U.S. Navy specs ( it was stationed in Port Orford Or) during the war as general motor pool and so we restored it to that spec! Pretty fun little rig and VERY useful too. And we all learned to drive with that Ol' Jeep.

A full nut & bolt restoration, that's dedication. Hopefully someone (war museum?) with respect of the times, takes this one home.

Looking at the images gives me a willy....er, woodie, errr.....a bone..... nevermind. LOL!
I like it!!

Getting close to retirement and thinking about a project to keep me busy so I started looking for a WWII version, either Willys or Ford. It surprised the daylights out of me that there are a ton of these things restored (in this price range) in the UK. I suppose that makes sense; it was probably cheaper to abandon them there than to ship them back,

One day...

View attachment 316073
1951 Willys M38 Jeep
Reading time: about 2 minutes.

The Willys M38 Jeep was the revised and updated version of the civilian-specification CJ-3A, which itself was an update of the venerable WWII era Willys Jeep MB. Willys developed the M38 to supply the US military for the Korean War, although by the end of the conflict most of the Jeeps that had been used were actually modified WWII units.

Significant engineering went into the M38, and it benefitted from the many lessons learned in the years producing the original Jeep and the CJ-3A. The frame and suspension was reinforced for additional strength and durability, a far more reliable 24-volt, waterproof electrical system was installed by using two 12 volt batteries in series, a new sealed vent system was used for the transmission, diffs, and transfer case – and a new braking system was used.

Outwardly the appearance remained almost indistinguishable for non-Jeep experts, but a quick way to spot an M38 is to look at the windshield and headlights. The M38 has a single pane windshield, and the headlights protrude – fitted with a wire protector to stop rouge branches from cracking the glass.

The exceptionally tidy Willys M38 you see here has been through a full nut-and-bolt restoration, and equipped with an extensive list of period-correct accessories and parts, including a .50-caliber air-cooled machine gun and a .30 caliber water-cooled machine gun. Neither of these are functional, however the .50 cal is fitted with a propane and oxygen system that allows it to fire authentic-sounding shots, which is sure to delight your local law enforcement.

Elsewhere it's been fitted with a period-correct telephone, radio, gas can, helmet, shovel, axe, spare tire, and an operational siren. RM Sotheby's have estimated that it has a value of between $30,000 and $50,000 USD – making it an almost affordable addition to the collection for many enthusiasts. If you'd like to read more about it or register to bid you can click here to view the listing.

View attachment 316074

View attachment 316075

View attachment 316076

View attachment 316077

View attachment 316078

View attachment 316079

View attachment 316080

View attachment 316081

View attachment 316082
more pics;
1951 Willys M38 Jeep
Your M1 helmet has a 1980s liner..otherwise,super cool!!
(I know nothing about jeeps,but I know helmets!)
Nit picking,just because:p
No offense or thread crapping intended

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top