JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have done my share of tinkering/gun smithing and consider myself a pretty good 'novice' (along with most other mechanical applications) however something I have done many times when disassembling a gun or a component is to take a picture of it.
This has helped me many times, especially if a day or two has passed before reassembly due to other repairs or issues.
I have even gone so far as to take pictures of the sides of a receiver, printed them and punched the corresponding screws into their locations on the picture as a guide to reassembly.
Id rather be sure than to look at a cupful of screws & parts and to scratch my head wondering how they go back together.
Tech manuals (for anything) would have no value without pics and few extra minutes to keep my phone handy to snap a few pics along the way has saved me a lot of frustration!

I took my new to me, possibly un-fired, M-94 in .357 mag apart just because that's what I do. I wouldn't have if I didn't have Y-tube. Gettin' all that lever/bolt linkage/lifer and stuff all together back up in the receiver is an exact process.

This isn't some old thing. Early .90's I believe. If that's what you're getting at.
Not at all - just wondering if it is cycling ok, no hangups with ammo at the cartridge lift or dropping rounds under it?

Reason I ask is this is a known problem with the Mod 94s in .357 mag.

I had a Mod 94 Trapper in .357 (early 2000s) with the problem. I partially corrected the problem eventually but never completely.

If you are not experiencing this consider yourself lucky and fire away!

Not at all - just wondering if it is cycling ok, no hangups with ammo at the cartridge lift or dropping rounds under it?

I had a Mod 94 Trapper in .357 (early 2000s) with the problem. I partially corrected the problem eventually but never completely.

It shoots good. Before I cleaned it the trap door would get stuck. But no longer. Ammo cycles just fine. It's a fun little rifle.
By the serial # it's an early 50's model.

Okay.....The only problem was feeding sometimes. I think, because of the shorter .38 special, it would hit the top of the chamber and stop there. Working the lever "Briskly" helped but you could still feel it bounce of the outside of the chamber before chambering. I'm not fond of full power .357 mag so I got a bunch of nickle .357 brass and used Unique for some midrange .357 mag. I only have Montana Gold 124 gr so that's what I'm loading.

It shoots good. Before I cleaned it the trap door would get stuck. But no longer. Ammo cycles just fine. It's a fun little rifle.
By the serial # it's an early 50's model.

As it should! As far as I know those rifles we're made to run with perfection with the longer rifle rounds. The issue is the shorter .357 mag & .38 special. Might even be the straight wall case verses the tapered .30-30 round that causes issues.

I have done my share of tinkering/gun smithing and consider myself a pretty good 'novice' (along with most other mechanical applications) however something I have done many times when disassembling a gun or a component is to take a picture of it.
This has helped me many times, especially if a day or two has passed before reassembly due to other repairs or issues.
I have even gone so far as to take pictures of the sides of a receiver, printed them and punched the corresponding screws into their locations on the picture as a guide to reassembly.
Id rather be sure than to look at a cupful of screws & parts and to scratch my head wondering how they go back together.
Tech manuals (for anything) would have no value without pics and few extra minutes to keep my phone handy to snap a few pics along the way has saved me a lot of frustration!

Ditto on automotive work.

I work on old cars. Old cars don't always have the appropriate screws holding components, especially dashboards, door panels and consoles. I will often take a piece of cardboard and draw whatever it is that I'm working on and then poke the screws through in the position I took them out of. Makes reassembly much easier.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top