JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Strictly hypothetical.

Something like 600,000 weapons were never registered way back when. Now say you're cleaning out grandma's attic and low and behold, you find one of them (most, by the way, were not fully automatic weapons).

Would the only option be to dig a hole and toss it in?

I can't quite remember the date but before a certain date firearms didn't have to have serial numbers. Maybe someone else on the forum knows the exact date?

You can manufacture your own for personal use and serial numbers are not required by the atf.

But in general, 1968.

Gun Control Act of 1968

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

So what you are saying is... if'n I took a hankering to convert/re-work one of my currently owned personal AR15's to a select-fire weapon out in my workshop, all I'd have to fill out the proper ATF paperwork and send that in with the fees for the tax stamp, then do it once approval was obtained?

No....nfa is different and you need a class ii sot and type 7 ffl if you want to make a machine gun. But you can depending on your state manufacture your own suppressor with the form 4 stamped...nfa stuff is....complicated and I don't think this thread was pertaining to that so much.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

NFA really isn't that complicated... at least how to go about owning NFA stuff.

as a regular guy without an SOT, if you want to own a full-auto weapon (or anything that fires more than one round per trigger squeeze), you need to find and buy an already registered "transferable" weapon. it would have been entered into the ATF NFA database before the FOPA of 86. new transfer of FA guns to private citizens has been prohibited since 86, so only "grandfathered" guns are legal.

if you want to own a short barreled rifle or shotgun, a sound suppressor, or destructive device, you simply chose a method (private citizen or corporation [trusts work too]), fill out the appropriate form and mail it in with a check for $200, and wait 1-6 months. same procedure for buying a transferable machinegun, but with the others, you dont have to worry about whether it's "transferable" or not- they all are.

really easy, actually.

so... many acromyms... can't breath... must find... air....

LMAO... OK, I see... we're talking GCA of '68 and FOPA of '86... I keyed in on the FA part because the OP mentioned that "most, by the way, were not fully automatic weapons"... meaning that "some" were FA, then the thread went into "building your own for personal use". FA is pretty expensive to feed anyway, and I got my FA fix as an Army M60 machinegunner while Uncle Sam paid the bill to feed it.... LOL.

Strictly hypothetical.

Something like 600,000 weapons were never registered way back when. Now say you're cleaning out grandma's attic and low and behold, you find one of them (most, by the way, were not fully automatic weapons).

Would the only option be to dig a hole and toss it in?

Yes, your other option is a $250,000 fine plus 10 yrs federal pen, if you are caught with an unregistered NFA weapon

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top