Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

1911s, where are they made?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by haythrower, Mar 4, 2010.

1. haythrower

haythrower SW WA Member

I know this could be a controversial topic, but where are the major and custom brands made these days (machining, and fine tuning specifically)? I'd like to stay with an American made pistol, but quality and value are very subjective. It gets a little confusing.

2. actionflies

actionflies Beaverton, Oregon Member

All custom 1911's are made in the USA (Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Les Baer) S&W and Kimber are more affordable.

3. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

My Kimber Custom is stamped Yonkers NY

4. tecate321

tecate321 Olympia,WA Member

Dont forget the higher end STI's ...the only one i know that they offer that has a foreign made frame is their SPARTAN model. The frame is made by ARMSCORP in the Phillipines. They shoot just as accurate as their 1000+ models.

5. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

I didn't really think about it when I was buying my Springfield 1911 Loaded, I just assumed it was made in Geneseo Il., but upon getting home I saw that it is stamped "MADE IN BRAZIL-IMBEL", so I was kinda wondering if they are ALL made there.

6. tecate321

tecate321 Olympia,WA Member

Most of the newer springfeild 1911 lowers are made in brazil. They earlier ones pre-06 i belive were made in the states. Theyre real high dollar ones are made in the us....
    another company outsourcing products for cheap labor.......

7. arjunki

arjunki Beaverton Active Member

Fusion is also a nice quality 1911 that is 100% US made.

8. haythrower

haythrower SW WA Member

Yes, I've been in touch with them. I haven't seen one in person, but the photos on the web like very nice.

9. Rix

Rix Tacoma Active Member

Very few of my guns are made in the US.
    kinda like cars, I don't let that do my deciding for me.

10. Iansstud

Iansstud SW WA / PDX Member

I think the better question is, where arnt they made???

11. Partsproduction

Partsproduction Tillamook Oregon Active Member

DW, the 2010 models are hurt'in spendy but all machined parts, no cast and no MIM garbage, all made in the USA. Somehow I'll scrape up the dough, but none of them is in the polished stainless now I think, all either bead blasted or some proprietary finish, and I hate painted guns. The new ones have forged frames and slides.

12. AndyH

AndyH Keizer, Oregon Well-Known Member

I have owned two fusions to date and currently have a Fusion CCO as a daily carry.

Fantastic custom pistol at affordable semi custom price.

13. rsmccsman

rsmccsman Hillsboro Go Blazers!

I currently have both a $1000 USA made Kimber and a $525 Philipine made 1911. I have also owned a Springfield Armory back in the early 1990s when they sold for $400. Just from a value for the dollar perspective it would be hard to explain/justify why one is worth so much more than the other. Both shoot and look great. Both have the custom features like beavertail safeties extended thumbsafety etc. I love them both. I suspect that the labor costs in the phillipines are the primary reason that one is so much less, not the quality. 1911s are everywhere. Can't get too much of a good thing.

14. captqc

captqc Tigard Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Where are 1911's made? They are forged by the gun gods in the clouds and they float down to deserving gunnies on tiny parachutes.:D Well, that's my opinion and I'm sticking with it!:thumbup:

15. haythrower

haythrower SW WA Member

Maybe you are right, but in a toss up, US made is a good deciding factor.

16. Partsproduction

Partsproduction Tillamook Oregon Active Member

I also have both. The Mimber has as many MIM parts as the RIA, but the RIA I bought cost me $350. The process of making small parts by MIM should make the Kimber cost a good deal less than they do.

Labor, some maybe, our government interference, yep, quite a bit of it, insurance due to a litigious society and liberal legal system, that's a large part there too.

But still, a large number of cookie stamped parts should make it a lot cheaper. They have been riding their name since they left Oregon.

17. haythrower

haythrower SW WA Member

I've seen MIM before, but can't find a clear reference. What does it mean?

18. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

Metal Injection Molding. MIM is less expensive to produce, VS the origional Colt parts, that were machined from solid stock. I've seen MIM parts on Springfield, Kimber, STI, Taurus. Wilson, S&A, Bul and lots of aftermarket upgrade parts are MIM.

19. GoDucks1

GoDucks1 Eugene Member

Outsourcing to Brazil is a bad idea

20. haythrower

haythrower SW WA Member

Got it on the MIM. Thanks for taking me to school. I'm in the semiconductor business and we use IM for a variety of plastic packaging for our LEDs, so I'm familiar with the general concepts.