JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have had Colt, Kimber, 2 Springfields and Dan Wesson.

I still have the Colt and Dan Wesson.

If I were looking to buy a premium 1911, I'd look at Ed Brown or Wilson... but I'm perfectly satisfied with what I have.

You will get lots of different opinions. For me, in the $700 range, its hard to beat a Springfield. Most are pretty well fit and accurate and can be tuned to have pretty darn good triggers. I had a parkerized loaded that was pretty rough but with a few hours of tuning became excellent. In the $1100-1500 range, I've got to say a Dan Wesson is hard to beat. I've got a heritage and an ECO 9mm, both of which are really fine pieces.

As odd as it might seem, I like MY Rock Island Armory 1911-A1 FS Tactical the BEST. DJF_8730-001.JPG

I've had a few starting with a Llama then a Springfield. Strayed from the1911 platform with a Sig P-220 and a XD. Then bought aRock Island and then aRandall now have aSig Nightmare.

Guys This was a thread to see what people like in 1911 frames it does not have to be just 45 cal I know that Springfield armory also has 1911 frames in 9mm and i believe 40 sw correct me if I am wrong but I really like the 1911 looks

I have shot colts, springers, kimbers, and a dan Wesson. I would say that colt and a high end springers are in the same level, kimbers can be better or worse, and the dan Wesson was in a different league. Maybe if you bought a colt and put out another $1000 into it you would have dog in the race

I just bought a stainless Colt government XSE.
Very well fitted slide to frame and the parts seemed to be clean of sharp edges.
I put it right back in the box after feeling something like a 10# trigger press. though.
It's at Shooters Service having a minor trigger tune up.
It's got all the pluses my Dan Wesson 1911 has, beavertail grip safety, 3 hole trigger, combat hammer, forged frame and slide, etc…and above all it's a Colt!
It was $850.00 including the freight and maybe another hundo for the tune up. I'll be under a G note.

Want a 1911 at around a grand? Colt. A bit more than a the mmil-specs out there but alot less than the customs.

Whatever you choose, shoot the hell out of it, carry it a lot and don't fret over the idiot mark.

Will

I wish Colt offered their new guns in the Royal Blue finish. Pretty darn expensive to have it done afterwards ($475 + shipping costs and an 18 month wait). I will take a Series 70 in Royal Blue please!

I own 3 colts and a Les Baer. The Les Baer is really nice but it's totally stock. My favorite is my SS Gold Cup Trophy which happens to be an 80 series. I put a C&S trigger reduction setup in it (p/n CS0003) and then I put a C&S Tactical II setup in it. Polished the bow and replaced the slide release with an Ed Brown. The last thing I replaced was the extractor because the MIM one broke... C&S extractor and it needed work to fit so this went to Fred Hastings at C.a.R. firearms. Installed for $30. Total parts about $250 (280 with labor) and the gun cost me $999 4 years ago.
The only 1911 I've shot that I've felt was equal to it was a Wilson Combat. Ok the Wilson was negligibly better but it was really close. The Wilson was also close to 3 times what I have into the Colt!

DSCF2012_zpsda29af58.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top