JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Personally I do not own a 1911 but I have a very close friend that have several and we go shooting then every so often. He has one that is originally a marine colt 1911 that his father carried in WWII many marines kept their service pistols from that era. He also has another colt 1911 that he bought from a retired law enforcement officer. He has a Kimber 1911 which is a blast to shoot. he has a old Lama 1911 its ok. And the last one is a Browning Hi Tech 1911 sub compact which is a fun little gun in 45 I like to shoot. I know that there are 1911's out there that are other than .45 acp but in my mind those are not 1911's. For Me 1911's will always be .45 acp

Both I have had the chance to fire. Out of the two I would personally go with The Wesson 45. But if I had to choose a fav manufacture for me to carry it would be a Kimber

I have shot colts, springers, kimbers, and a dan Wesson. I would say that colt and a high end springers are in the same level, kimbers can be better or worse, and the dan Wesson was in a different league. Maybe if you bought a colt and put out another $1000 into it you would have dog in the race

Wilsonized Colt! Best of both worlds!

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/index.php?threads/172061/

IMG_20140604_101838_zpsee22d3b6.jpg IMG_20140604_203648_zps5c44452b.jpg IMG_20140604_203757_zps30c43c7d.jpg

Last Edited:
I'm sticking with my Ed Brown. I farted around with several of the aforementioned brands, most of which worked okay but none of them float by boat like the EB.

I prefer the good ol' USGI 1911A1, just like the one I sported in the Army. I carried a Colt, and a Remington and there was no difference. I own an Ithaca 1911A1 that's marked "U.S. Army property" that someone NM'd. I plan to convert it back to USGI configuration except for the NM barrel and bushing.

Taurus.

Yep, your read it right. I own two and they rock. Accurate & and easy takedown (loose tolerances) compared to others that require bushing tools.

Say what you will, but the many rounds Ive sent down range with both of mine have convinced me otherwise.

Browning Hi Tech 1911 sub compact which is a fun little gun in 45 I like to shoot.

Browning Hi Tech .45? The Browning Hi-Power is a 9mm that JMB designed for FN in Belgium after he did the 1911 for Colt, and you can get them in .40 nowadays -- Is that what you're talking about?

re 1911 choices, if you are shopping with about $1000 or so, I'd say your best bets are either to get a vintage Colt (series 80 or earlier, which would put you back to 1990s era or earlier production) for a no-frills GI style weapon, or a new production Sig Sauer if you are looking for modern and tacti-cool-- I have owned many 1911s over the past few years, and shot lots of others that belonged to my friends, and I have been happiest with vintage Colt or modern Sig. If you have money to burn, Wilson Combat makes awesome guns.

Have 2 1/2. A S&W E series in 45. And a Dan Wesson PM 9 in 9 mm. The latter has an excellent trigger out of the box and is very soft shooting - would be my favorite. For the Smith I also have a .22 conversion from Advantage Arms. Unlike the Kimber conversion, this one has a last round slide lock. It's also very accurate and obviously cheap to shoot.

My favorite depends on dollar level.
Inexpensive? Ruger SR1911. I bought an early production gun (the first I could find) and it's been flawless. I paid $659 out the door for it. I've owned Ruger products for a long time and have always believed that you get a lot of gun for your money.

Mid range? Good older Colt or Dan Wesson. I have a 50s vintage Colt Commercial that has been slightly worked over. These Colts are well built and have bluing like no other. It could be my carry gun except for my Dan Wesson. I have a 2008 CBOB. Traded into it when it was about a year old. It's by far my favorite handgun out of all I've owned.
I also had a CBOB in 10mm that could have been "the one", except that I decided to just stick with .45. By having a second one I got to have a peek at the insides of 2 different Dan Wesson 1911s. If you want a fine gun and don't have Ed Brown or Nighthawk or Cabot money to burn, it's my opinion that you will not find another 1911 of this quality for anywhere near the price.

I'd wish I had the opportunity to try out a real "high end" 1911. Just not in the cards, I guess. Being that's the case, if I was looking for a "good" 1911 right now, was on a budget, and I was gonna carry it, I would try and find a Ruger SR1911 CMD. (Commander) If the budget wasn't as tight, it would be Dan Wesson all the way.

By the way, after having a far less than stellar experience with Kimber's "service" when it came to problems with one of their rifles, I'll not own another one.

Last Edited:
I favor full-size Kimber followed by Springfield and do like Colt. My first 1911 was my father's A1 given to me in my teenage years and kept it until a neighbor in need purchased it from me.

I think new Colts can be hit or miss. I bought a brand new one online last year but it suffered from sloppy-fit trigger syndrome, and the Colt factory declined to do anything about it. Had an older Colt (early 1980s) which was much better. I've had good luck with the Kimber Tactical series (accurate and reliable), but have always ended up trading or selling them, so I don't know how durable they are over thousands of rounds.

I have two inexpensive 1911's. A Remington R1, TALO Edition, and a Rock Island Armory Match Grade gun. Both have excellent triggers and are as accurate as I can shoot them. I have never had a problem with either gun through several thousand rounds of different types of ammo. My choice between the two for my daily carry is the gun I touch first in the safe goes in the holster.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top