JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As stated, there is definitely something about the heft and touch of steel. If more new firearms were made of metal instead of plastic, perhaps the wooers of the 1911 wouldn't stand out as much. Glock fans for instance can argue the merits of that pistol's design all day long and I will not disagree with them. But they do not romance their firearms the way the 1911 crowd does. The Glock is pure function, not art. While I can appreciate that, I cannot fall in love with it.

In the film Ronin, DeNiro's character is asked by the "weapons man" what sidearm he favors. DeNiro responds, "I don't know; it's a tool box. But I guess, if I had to... the 1911." That pretty much sums it up for me.

I personally would not say the 1911 is the all-time greatest semi-auto or anything. I love mine but it is an over-rated gun. Something can be very good and still be over-rated if its fans take it to legendary proportions.

The 1911 was amazing in 1911. Much less so in 2013. There are a number of designs that as of 2013 are better. That doesn't mean the 1911 is a bad design by any means - in fact, it's very good. I love the single action trigger and double safety system. I find the accuracy of full-sized models to be suburb.

BTW, which 1911 are we discussing? Because a 2013 1911 is a lot better than a 1911 1911 :) Even better than a 1945 1911. Make mine beavertail and skip the slide bite, thanks.

trolling..

Not trolling at all...

I am in the market for a full-size handgun. I see lots of people that have them and I never have. I want to know what and why the 1911 is the choice of so many. I really feel the Glock is bought by so many because of it's name.

And I just want to know why people LOVE the 1911 so much besides nostalgia.

1st and foremost will be either- A) the history or B) the trigger. They're slim so they carry very well, very accurate typically, amazing triggers, ability to make it exactly as you wish, etc

Make mine beavertail and skip the slide bite, thanks.

Umm, it isn't slide bite that the extended beavertail protects against (notice I didn't say beavertail because even the 1911 1911's had a beavertail. It just wasn't very long). It is HAMMER BITE. When the slide pushes the hammer back after firing, if the extended beavertail isn't there, then the hammer will dig into the webbing of your hand between the thumb and forefinger.

As for 1911's, I want a Ruger SR1911 because it looks beautiful AND it shoots great. I got to shoot one at the gun club one day.

I have had a 1911 in my ownership most of my adult life. I got introduced to them in the Navy back in 1980 and have caried and used them. I moved away from them to the S&W 3rd generation pistols. I came back pretty quick. I am not looking to start a war only to defend myself and my family. The 1911 is a heavy pistol that is fairly flat. I dont mind the weight, as they say it is comforting. I have came to the conclusion I do not like 9mm as a cartridge - I have even recently got rid of a nice Browning Hi-Power because I dislike the 9mm that much and to me a Hi-Power in 45ACP would be perfect - AKA the 1911 ( I know that there are differences). I can pick up most any 1911 and have hi confidence in hitting my target, I have chosen two types of firearms for defense and that is the 1911 and double action heavy frame revovlers in 357 with 4" barrels. My 1911's carry 8+1 round with a spare magazine. I cannot think of very many scenarios that would require more fire power - those odds I am willing to take.

James Ruby

Not trolling at all...

I am in the market for a full-size handgun. I see lots of people that have them and I never have. I want to know what and why the 1911 is the choice of so many. I really feel the Glock is bought by so many because of it's name.

And I just want to know why people LOVE the 1911 so much besides nostalgia.

How can you not have one? I don't like ar's but I have one. I don't really like glocks, but I have one also. At one point, I hated ak's but I bought one anyway, guess what it's my favorite gun in my safe. Go figure...

If you're having troubles stripping a 1911 it's a user error. A standard 1911 is easy to field strip.

Not much beyond nastlgia and good looks. I have one and even though it shoot well, I will never buy another one. Not when a Sig or a FNH are around.
Field strip a 1911 and one of the above mentioned (as well as a Glock) and you'll very likely will never want to do a 1911 again.

Not much beyond nastlgia and good looks. I have one and even though it shoot well, I will never buy another one. Not when a Sig or a FNH are around.
Field strip a 1911 and one of the above mentioned (as well as a Glock) and you'll very likely will never want to do a 1911 again.

Hows about a Sig 1911:

Sig_2.jpg

Sig_2.jpg

The difference is wether it is a full size government model 5" or if it is shorter - you need a tool on the commander and officer size pistols - a paper clip or such - it helps in the field stripping. Some people can stip a 1911 in the dark - I am not that good. There are other pistols easier to strip but a 1911 government model is not difficult.

James Ruby

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads