JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just purchased a Remington 1911R1 Stainless. This is not my first 1911. I have a Wiley Clapp Colt Commander and a Colt New Agent 9mm. I bought the Remington to customize I would like to make a couple of upgrades to the 1911R1. I would like to install a larger beavertail safety and safety. I was also thinking about a beefier main spring housing.

Is there a better place than the normal MidwayUSA and Brownell's to buy parts?

Where is the best place to send the frame to have some checkering done?

Thanks for the help!!

I don't know the most about the R1- but I'm going to guess they have milspec GS tangs. To get a beavertail GS fit and look good the tangs will need to be ground on.
Safety- the safety, provided you order a quality part, is going to need to be fit to your gun/sear. Unless you are familiar with 1911's this is not something to tackle lightly.

The point of the above is if you're going to be sending it out to get checkered I'd consider having the above done as well at same time and probably sight cuts done while there.
I'm a huge SACS (Springfield Armory Custom Shop) fan, and they turn out some of the best custom/semi-customs out there. There's a huge # of quality 1911 smiths out there. I'd browse louderthanwords forums for some smith ideas :)

Well the oldest names in the game for parts, are:
Wilson combat, and Chip McCormick. Drop in parts are readily available, without frame modifications.
Although I don't know what a "beefier" mainspring housing means...

Yes there are some drop in parts but again A) "To get a beavertail GS fit and look good" requires work. and B) Any safety/fire control parts MAY drop in but if they do you're also risking they won't work properly.

For MSH I like these- 1911 AUTO LANYARD MAINSPRING HOUSING | Brownells

Well the oldest names in the game for parts, are:
Wilson combat, and Chip McCormick. Drop in parts are readily available, without frame modifications.
Although I don't know what a "beefier" mainspring housing means...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top