JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So in 2020 I posted on my Sig GSR not doing well with a aftermarket threaded barrel… that barrel is gone.

Skip to 2021, I acquired a Sig Tacops Commander with threaded barrel a few weeks ago. Got it out today (finally).

This gun is very very accurate unsuppressed, like the GSR, but when I thread on the Liberty Cosmic, the POI drops 12" @ 25yds. Off hand, rested, alternate shooter… does not matter. Booster is clean. 230gr ball ammo loaded to 800fps. No functional problems otherwise.

My gunsmith suggested a heavier recoil spring to increase dwell time…I ordered a 22# but I have my doubts it's going to work.

Anybody else have this problem? Maybe the suppressor is too long? Taller rear sight? WTH!

Help! Pic attached… excuse the mess. You can appreciate how long the can is, but it's only 9.5oz.

FE89AF43-74D3-45E9-9C51-44E243EF5A8A.jpeg

Last Edited:
First thing I check for is a baffle strike. Even the slightest nick will produce extreme changes in POI

Good point! Run a .45cal suppressor alignment rod down the entire assembly and see if it hangs up, or indicates it's not concentric.

I'm running a Sig TacOps all factory with a Wilson 18# spring using a Rugged obsidian with minimal shift long or short configuration. You can also try with the can mounted, pulling it forward and rotating it to fall back into another set of teeth on the Piston effectively clocking the can. Might move the point of shift to a more manageable amount. Then Mark the can do next time you know

Pull on booster, rotate can, see if point of impact shifts.

Oddly, some guns just do weird things when there is a suppressor on it. I've got one 22 that no matter which suppressor I put on it, it shifts low left by almost a foot.

It's not baffle strike. The can is well seated. The booster is not rotatable AFAIK without dissassembly, besides caused a similar problem on another 1911. I'm thinking suppressor height adjustable rear Novak sight.

It's not baffle strike. The can is well seated. The booster is not rotatable AFAIK without dissassembly, besides caused a similar problem on another 1911. I'm thinking suppressor height adjustable rear Novak sight.
Most pistol suppressors using a piston with teeth can be pulled forward while mounted on the gun, over coming the spring, rotated, and then under spring pressure will fall into a new set of teeth on the Piston. This changes the alignment of the baffles, and changes the point of impact. Just about all modem handgun cans can do this. Also, if your baffles are removable for cleaning, make sure they are all aligned inside the suppressor when assembled. Unlikely but it can affect accuracy. My Sig 1911 suppressed is easy to hit a 12x20 steel target at 40 yards fast.

Most pistol suppressors using a piston with teeth can be pulled forward while mounted on the gun, over coming the spring, rotated, and then under spring pressure will fall into a new set of teeth on the Piston. This changes the alignment of the baffles, and changes the point of impact. Just about all modem handgun cans can do this. Also, if your baffles are removable for cleaning, make sure they are all aligned inside the suppressor when assembled. Unlikely but it can affect accuracy. My Sig 1911 suppressed is easy to hit a 12x20 steel target at 40 yards fast.
1638734230246.jpeg

I am going to take a look at the monocore orientation and make sure the gas blast deflection is pushing the internal baffle slants up or down by reorienting the booster teeth And trying the opposite of whichever way it sits now.

I am going to take a look at the monocore orientation and make sure the gas blast deflection is pushing the internal baffle slants up or down by reorienting the booster teeth And trying the opposite of whichever way it sits now.
Don't be opposed to it being in any orientation related to the pistol. You can make one tiny rotation and shoot a round or two, then another rotation, until it ends up the best it can. When cleaning mine, I reassemble the baffle gas circulating holes with the serial number, that way when I install it back on the gun, I can line up my mark on the outside of my can with the top of my pistol and know the baffles are still in the same position.

Very happy to report that I was able to reclock my monocore angled fins from a gas diversion down to up position by simply pulling on the suppressor and rotating. If it weren't for you guys I wouldn't know about that! Thanks!
Will try it out again soon and report back.

2FAA7123-0B37-4429-8950-3ED8EC62A6D9.jpeg
You can see what I mean by angled fins in the monocore.
I suspect the gas pressure on those fins is certainly directional, and the way they were oriented when I flashlight checked would have been to push the barrel down. There is no evidence of baffle strike.
Sure hope this does it.

I'm not exactly a fluid dynamic and or air turbulence scientist, so I can't explain exactly how moving the direction of the can in relation to the barrel on a pistol changes impact shift, I just know it does. As I have experienced it enough with enough semis that require a booster.

Usually you just pull it forward rotate, fire a few, again if needed, until it is hitting closer to point of aim.

Hope you get better results!

and I found reference to my exact problem, same gun… and it looks like booster may be the issue. Will soon see. Email sent to Liberty.... I spoke with them today and they said to proceed with clocking the suppressor and if that didn't fix it to send it in to them before considering replacing the rear sight. Sounds like a standup operation!

Last Edited:
Tighter group no suppressor, larger with suppressor in a Pyramid combat hold. Baffles angled up to have gas push bullet up and increase dwell time slightly per Liberty advice. Still shooting a little low but way way better. Tested other booster positions and it was all over the place. Thanks all for a good suppressor lesson.

19B76974-11E7-4C1E-9890-6E77402D0B0B.jpeg 93C35683-278C-4798-9301-CE7CED59D1E7.jpeg

View attachment 1083786
You can see what I mean by angled fins in the monocore.
I suspect the gas pressure on those fins is certainly directional, and the way they were oriented when I flashlight checked would have been to push the barrel down. There is no evidence of baffle strike.
Sure hope this does it.
Interesting, I had not thought of that, but if so your experience would be a good argument against a monocore design for non-fixed platforms.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top