JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am in need of a new safety on my 1911. I have a Taurus 1911, hey dont knock it, I could afford it plus I think its shoots well. But I dont like the Ambi safety that came on it. I want to get some nice grips for it but this Ambi safety is really limiting me. So I need the help of a smith to install it, I will probably just get a Wilson combat or something similar.

I am located near Tacoma, WA

I tried to google seach gunsmith around Tacoma, but did not have very good luck. The one I did find, he wanted $150 installed. According to Taurus forums, this is an outrageous amount.

Maybe an individual who can do it from their house on the side?

Are you sure he wanted $150 to take out the ambi safety and install a regular thumb safety or did he maybe think you wanted a new grip safety installed? $150 IS an outrageous amount for changing out an ambi safety for a regular one. It's also high for even a grip safety even though they sometimes require some fitting, but not AS outrageous.

if the grips are blocking the safety, and you own a drummel or other cutting tool, pop out the side safety that's the problem and cut it off as needed. Carefully !!. Crimson Trace grips have the same problem and they tell the same story, that's how I learned and did this on my Tuaras PT1911.
Once cut or ground to the size you need, round edges with the grinder, or a file to statisfied with redius and look (Bobbed) and then use cold bluing to recolor cut edge. Reinstalled and put grips on. Should be just fine. Mine works with either side still and the CT grips works too.. sr

Last Edited:
Thanks for the tips guys. I didnt even think of The Marksman. I used to live just blocks away from there and have bought 4 guns from there I guess I just never realized there was a Smith on staff..

Thanks!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top