JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm having a problem with my Rock Island 1911 where after firing, sometimes the slide fails to go fully into battery. The magazine is always securely in the grip when this happens so I am fairly sure it is the upper. What should I look for in order to diagnose the problem?

Without more info, limp-wristing, faulty ammo, and worn out springs are the first things to come to mind. Before you spend a lot of time trying to diagnose your problem ask yourself what changed?

For example I thought I was having serious issues with both of my Ed Browns and the wife's Colt Government with FTF's. Turns out it was the lube. I made the switch to Frog Lube. I cleaned all that crap off all of my guns and haven't had a problem since.

Last Edited:
Ammo is good, I've been using Wolf and Tula with no problems since I got the gun. I keep a good firm grip on the gun too. As for cleaning and lubrication, I've always been using Hoppes.

When it first happened, I knew I hadn't cleaned it in a while so I gave it a really thorough cleaning, but then the same problem happened again, that is the slide jamming up and not fully feeding the cartridge into the chamber. I would say that when this happens, the slide gets stuck back from full battery by a good 1/16 of an inch.

I'll try cleaning it again and see if that helps any before trying to find other sources of the problem.

My experience with Wolf ammo in 45 ACP is not positive, but if it's been working for you, good.
However, you still could have ammo that's a bit out of spec. Or, very likely, you have a dirty chamber. The next cartridge gets hung up a little and keeps the slide from going all the way into battery. If it's easy to push the slide the rest of the way then fire the next round, then it's probably dirty.
Give it a good scrubbin and you'll likely be ok.

If it's not easy to push into battery, try some different ammo.

When it happens have you tried a very firm tap on the bottom of the magazine? If that works then it is probably the magazine and/or the ammo. If you're sure it's not the ammo then it could be the magazine springs, follower or lips.

Thoroughly clean the chamber, switch to a brass case ammo and see if it helps. I've had several guns brought to me after firing the Russian steel case ammo that are either stuck closed as the chamber is dirty and the casing is holding on for dear life or that are having issues with the steel case round not wanting to slide into battery fully. That would be the first, easiest, and cheapest solution to try.

:s0155:
the slide jamming up and not fully feeding the cartridge into the chamber. I would say that when this happens, the slide gets stuck back from full battery by a good 1/16 of an inch.

This ^^^ is why I think it's a dirty chamber. The bullet has left the feed lips of the mag and the slide just isn't able to push it all of the way into the chamber.

One thing I've done when I've had a dirty chamber in a .45 is to use a .50 brush to scrub the chamber out.

If you figger out what's causing the trouble, please re-post for those of us that want an answer.:s0155:

:s0155:This ^^^ is why I think it's a dirty chamber. The bullet has left the feed lips of the mag and the slide just isn't able to push it all of the way into the chamber.
After the additional info the OP posted I find myself agreeing.

One thing I've done when I've had a dirty chamber in a .45 is to use a .50 brush to scrub the chamber out.
I like this idea of using the .50 cal brush. Might try along with a little of this stuff on a patch:

p_073000002_1.jpg

If you figger out what's causing the trouble, please re-post for those of us that want an answer.:s0155:

Again, I agree. Stuff like this and more important than that, solutions to stuff like this that are posted become valuable to the next guy (or gal) who has the same problems.

One more thing that you may wish to do is Polish the chamber. As you stated before, you had shot it a lot with out cleaning. So you may need to Polish it out so the round will side in, and the fire case will come out easy without any hang-ups. If you fine you are still having the problem give me a call 503-260-3906 or email me at [email protected] If you Email me leave a time and number I can call you back and we can talk. Tony Portland, Oregon Area :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top