JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Id like some info on holsters for a 1911 sig with rail. Owb and retention is important as this is my woods gun and will spend a fair ammount of time on my enduro motorcycle finding places to start the hike from. I really prefer leather but am leaning towards a safariland duty style holster. Anybody got any great holsters they think would fit my needs better? Im left handed so obviously ill be ordering it and im ok with some lead time for delivery.

Anybody got any great holsters they think would fit my needs better? Im left handed so obviously ill be ordering it and im ok with some lead time for delivery.
An ALS Safariland rig with an OTD nub mod would be my first choice for a retention holster. I'd skip the rotating hood unless you really think you need Level 3. Alternatively I'd look at G Code. They make a Level 2 holster with a spring loaded hood (Safariland's isn't) and it doesn't have any additional retention like the ALS system.

I'd pair it up with either a Safariland mid-ride UBL and thigh strap, or a G Code Mule drop leg rig, or the new G Code drop belt mount with thigh strap....Just depends on what you like best or what gear you already have.

If you want something that is less overt, yet incorporates the same ALS as the duty holsters, try the Safariland 6377 or 6378. Its an ALS holster that gives you level I retention, but sits closer to the body and doesn't hang too low. Ive used one on duty and for IDPA from concealment. Its a tough holster. I've taken a few nasty spills on concrete, landing on the gun, and the holster survived and retained the gun.

I got this on Amazon for about $70 Seems to hold just about anything and has a good thumb break. If you don't like it and you have PRIME it won't cost you anything.

CELL PICS 359.jpg

I got this on Amazon for about $70 Seems to hold just about anything and has a good thumb break. If you don't like it and you have PRIME it won't cost you anything.

View attachment 661477
The hikes i take are brutal my buddy calls them "death hikes" and i got a fairly loaded back pack, i tried a chest holser and it was just to conflicting with the backpack its looking like safariland just got to narrow it to model now.

Id like some info on holsters for a 1911 sig with rail. Owb and retention is important as this is my woods gun and will spend a fair ammount of time on my enduro motorcycle finding places to start the hike from. I really prefer leather but am leaning towards a safariland duty style holster. Anybody got any great holsters they think would fit my needs better? Im left handed so obviously ill be ordering it and im ok with some lead time for delivery.
I started a thread on this with some great info for belt holsters compatable with pack waistbelts... With a 1911.

In short check out the gcode drop RTS holsters .

Also check out the drop holster from gunfighters inc.

I'm revisiting this subject myself. Here's a link to the thread @Koda started
I asked a very similar question on another forum and got the same suggestion, ALS and G-Code. But also high praise for these guys:

Last Edited:
Thank you for the link Jonnyuma, someone posted a great list of options in my thread all compatable with the RTS system.
I posted a pic of the setup I bought too, (for a 1911).

Also I have a drop holster coming from Gunfighters Inc. That I think will work better, should arrive on Thursday.

I also built an RTS adaptor to mount an "avenger" style 1911 leather holster to the Gcode drop belt loop that looks awesome. Can share pics when I get home...

My fist test hike last weekend worked great with a daypack hipbelt...

IMHO you would like something that locks the weapon in place when you holster it. I do security for (Non Disclosure Agreement). Our holsters are crap. If the thumb strap breaks open when you are running, the weapon will bounce out.

IMHO you would like something that locks the weapon in place when you holster it. I do security for (Non Disclosure Agreement). Our holsters are crap. If the thumb strap breaks open when you are running, the weapon will bounce out.

That is a common problem with mass produce/cheap thumb break holsters. IMO, you really have to go to an old school leather artisan on top of finding one to do a thumb break in conjunction with proper hand boning. If I was in such a market I'd start with C. Rusty Sherrick Custom Leather

i use a blackhawk leather holster with a thumb break for my fullsize 1911 and feel like a boss when i carry that cannon OWB under my flannel jacket

i got the holster from sportsmans on black friday a couple years ago...it was normally $80 but it was half off so $40 with another half off mail in rebate....i was expecting a $20 check...they sent me $40. it was a free holster. :)

looks like this Premium Leather 3-Slot-Pancake Holster

I was just looking at a site that makes VERY nice leather hunting/outfitter type holsters, including full flap models. It's gone out of my history... Alaska Gunleather or something.

Another option would be a Bianchi UM85 or M84 GI holster. They work great for 5" guns... I have one but my XDM's slide is a little too "girthy" for an easy draw... slimmer models work better as it was designed for M92s or 1911s.
Around $100 new from Bianchi or Safariland, but can be found as unissued surplus for a LOT less.

ETA: Nope... not even close
They ARE in AK though...

Last Edited:
I made custom RTS kydex adaptor plate to mount my favorite Bitterroot Gunleather holster to my RTS belt loop so I can hike and hunt with a pack on...

Screenshot_20200220-090239.png

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads