JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Springfield XD in 45 but I have a 1911 itch I think I want to scratch. So what would you recommend? Here's what I think I want:

max of about $700
either 4.25 or 5 inch barrel
adjustable trigger
45 ACP
either/or on stainless or blued

Been looking at the Kimber offerings, Remington, Ruger.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

I for one think that a Kimber custom II would be a good starting pistol. I have had three kimbers and find them to be good value and reliable. I will admit that my choices in 1911 have become more traditional in nature. I have two 1911's now but neither could be purchased for that price. My favorite is my Series 70 Gold Cup national match custom. My other is a Essex that some one took the time and built correctly. Like most things you try different guns until you find the magic. I will be looking for another 1911 this spring and I suspect it will be a one off as well.

James Ruby

I'll give the Rugers a vote. I'm really happy with my CMD. If this is just a range gun you might find a used Springfield armory Range officer in your price range, a loaded model might fall in that used price range too.

I've heard Ruger has real good customer service, I KNOW Springfield does.

I was going to write a smart @ssed post saying something like "use the search function" or "google is your friend" but decided against it after re-reading the OP's original post.

So to him I'd say be patient. Try and save up more money. You get what you pay for. Stay away from anything made overseas.

But if he's hellbent on a 1911 now then Ruger is probably a good choice for your first 1911. Be careful, 1911's seem to multiply. :s0114:

There are a couple Range Officers for sale on the board here for between 6-700. One of the better shooting weapons I've ever had, sold it after having the classic "modify vs. sell-&-buy-new" argument with myself.

So what would you recommend? Here's what I think I want:

max of about $700
adjustable trigger
45 ACP
either/or on stainless or blued

Been looking at the Kimber offerings, Remington, Ruger.

First you'll need to figure out your needs. Occasional time on the range, home protection, competition (light or heavy use), every day carry?

Need more answers to help you out.

Para USA Elite Commander. A tad over or right at your $700 budget depending on any deals you can get.

PARA: Elite Commander

Mine with VZ Grips

DSCF0604.jpg

Ric

DSCF0604.jpg

If you can go a little higher in price, Springfield Loaded parkerized (PX9109LP is the model number).
Springfield Armory

Springfield makes a similar MilSpec model. I bought the MilSpec since I couldn't find the Loaded in 2012, then got the Loaded, and traded the MilSpec. On the Loaded model, the factory-delivered trigger is really nice. The Loaded also has night sights.

Peter

max of about $700
adjustable trigger

Some guns I've bought/enjoyed and find a good value under $700 currently:

a) A Colt 1991a1 "ORM" - the brush blued guns from the 1990s. They will be the best built gun you can find under this price limit in my experience. I bought one of these for $650 early this year and it is as nicely built a 1911 mechanically as any production gun I've ever seen. gotta look "under the hood" to really know if a gun is a good value. My comments here are based on that.
b) Springfield 'nm' prefix of any type - basic, mil-spec, and if you want bells and whistles a used Range Officer as mentioned is a very good deal.
c)RIA's aren't fancy but work well. I cannot lie.
d) Kimber "I" classic custom (pre-2003), if you are handy and can fit a new bushing and tune the extractor. Usually they didn't come in-spec from the factory on small things like bushings, extractors, etc. But lots of guns don't see much use and people live with faults until someone straightens them out.

Those are the things I'd gravitate towards for a really well-performing gun.

Don't get hung up on an adjustable trigger as a deal breaker on any particular gun. That's a $17 drop-in part (Greider Precision piece, aka the old Videcki style).

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top