1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this week -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

1911 recoil buffers, are they necessary?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by bwells, Oct 24, 2009.

1. bwells

bwells Longview Member

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

Only time I ever used them was in a Colt Combat Elite that I used to own. Adding the buffers led to malfunctions. Removed the buffers and all was well again. YMMV
  3. sheepman

sheepman Las Vegas NV Member

If they do not effect reliable operation then I use them. Some guns don't like them but others work OK. My 1911 is a range gun only, if it were a carry gun I would not use the buffer. They do work but can cause problems ( I believe they will help save frame battering). Short answer they are not necessary but may have a benefit for some guns. JMHO : Bill PS if you use one in a carry gun check it often for wear.
  4. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

I use them in my Kimber pro carry. They help to keep down the frame battering., But also if you use +p ammo, you can up the recoil spring power by 2lbs, and that works well too. If they don't cause reliabilty problems, then why not use them. Old JM Browning didn't design it origionally, but that doesn't mean its a bad thing.
  5. Bello425

Bello425 Vancouver Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

+1 on Sheepman and Huntpotter. I used them and had no issues with them.
  6. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

I use them in every 1911 I own, except the sub 4 1/4" models. They take up room where the slide has to operate, so they can cause problems in shorter guns.

If you use them, just make sure you check over them like any other part of your gun when cleaning and/or doing maint. If you see cracks, throw it out and install a new one. And for carry use, make sure your gun will run with it. Some like 'em, some don't.