JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Are you new to 1911s? Before you spend a ton of money on the pistol, answer a number of questions to yourself. Is this gun new and will you void a warranty if you do modifications to it? What issues are you trying to resolve or function improve by making mods? Why would you make mods before you have a "feel" for the pistol; if you shoot it a while you will know what needs to be done. Will this be a carry gun, competition gun, night stand gun? Its intended function would drive some mods and eliminate others (i.e, why would you put a magwell on anything other than a competition gun?)

SA's website shows this pistol with target sights, beavertail grip safety, a commander style hammer and a match grade trigger; these are many of the things people add as upgrades. So, before you spend a ton of money; what are you going to use it for and why are you making the mods?

Nice looking piece, good luck!

Are you new to 1911s? Before you spend a ton of money on the pistol, answer a number of questions to yourself. Is this gun new and will you void a warranty if you do modifications to it? What issues are you trying to resolve or function improve by making mods? Why would you make mods before you have a "feel" for the pistol; if you shoot it a while you will know what needs to be done. Will this be a carry gun, competition gun, night stand gun? Its intended function would drive some mods and eliminate others (i.e, why would you put a magwell on anything other than a competition gun?)

SA's website shows this pistol with target sights, beavertail grip safety, a commander style hammer and a match grade trigger; these are many of the things people add as upgrades. So, before you spend a ton of money; what are you going to use it for and why are you making the mods?

Nice looking piece, good luck!

Interesting to see this.... I sent a Gold Cup Trophy back to Colt on the 4/24 and they received it at 9:15 am on 4/27. I had the CS0003 trigger reduction setup in it and the CS0219 Trigger pull set in it. Between the 2 kits and the bow polish job the trigger was right at 3.25 lbs. After 30K rounds the barrel lug cracked so I sent it back. Colt still hasn't said they wont cover it because the gun was modified but I'm still waiting when their letter that came with the postage label said 7 days or sooner... It's now at 11 days. I will say that I sent a letter with the gun stating that there is no way the trigger upgrades could have caused the barrel to fail....
Still waiting on a response from Brent Turcchi from Colt...
I'll let ya know what happens!

Just picked up a .45 Range Officer yesterday. So far I'm thinking of adding a magwell. What else should I be looking at with this gun?
How many rounds thru it?
If under 500,then I have been told to leave it alone and see what you think after you've shot 500+ rounds.
With that said,I bought a used RO off gun broker and he had replace the springs with Wilson. It had a beautiful trigger.
I can see doing the mag well though I do like those

Anyone sent their 1911 into Springfield for custom work? What is the turn around time usually for factory work?
I sent Kimber to the Springfield Custom shop for some work, they quoted 4-6 weeks and I had pistol back in my hands in less than 5 weeks! The best part was their shipping cost, $35 round trip!

I had the front strap machined checkered at 20lpi, the MSH housing rounded and the slide stop pin flushed cut and the hole radius-ed. Their work was great and the price was very reasonable.

Good comments, all around. I am new to 1911's. I do agree that I should put 500 rounds through it first. The main reason for this will be target and home defense. When I plan a trip to the Forrest for plinking Id like to wear it open carry for the day of the trip. Other than that I got it just to have a 1911, learn about them, and customize just to customize...cause that's just fun to do.

Are you a fan of fingered grips?

If so, that is a decent cheap mod...

Pearce Grips makes a rubber finger grip insert for 1911's that retains the stock grips and installs underneath them to add the rubber fingered grip to the front. Works with any standard wood/plastic/metal grips for 1911s since it just gets sandwiched in underneath them.

6a02c878-8a75-4d11-875b-aea6c21648dd_zps4d0e2caf.jpg

I'm going to echo other's comments. Spend your money to buy ammo and shoot the heck out of the gun. Learn it before you decide to do something to it. If you just "gotta do something" to it, buy some pretty grips. I've heard that the RO is a decent gun and without knowing it, you may do something that you don't like.

Whatever you do, welcome to the 1911. I love 'em.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top