JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all,

I was considering buying my a 1911 and wanted some input on the ambidextrous safety that is offered on many higher end pistols. I currently don't have a carry 1911, but would like to get one.

I am right handed and have no use (that I can think of) of the safety on the right side. I have owned a 1911 with the ambidextrous safety and my concern was that the safety might be disengaged during normal carry. Yes, I know there are other safeties on a 1911, the best of which is to keep your finger out of the trigger guard. :cool:

It just seems to me that the ambi safety is a liability for a right handed person. Am I completely out to lunch on this? Can the right safety be removed?

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks! :D

Ambi-safeties have a flaw where they join, it's a weak point.

You can't just take the right side off, as there has to be a shaft going all the way thru to securely hold the grip safety.

I would recommend one just replaces the ambi with a single sided model.

I have one on a Springfield Loaded model, and it's yet to cause any problems.

I had this discussion with a local 45 expert and he said ambi safties are a bad ideal.
I carry the Kimber Custom II in a BlackHawk serpa holster most of the time.
All steel a bit heavier then other Kimbees but thee money a **** of a weapon.

Hello all,

I am right handed and have no use (that I can think of) of the safety on the right side.

It just seems to me that the ambi safety is a liability for a right handed person. Am I completely out to lunch on this?

I've often wondered the same thing. Thanks for asking the question and thanks to Wichaka for the input.

I think the argument for having an ambi safety for someone who is right handed is usually that then you could operate the gun with your weak side hand. I'm thinking though that if your right hand were injured and you were in the situation where you were able to chamber a round with your left hand you are probably already in a situation where you just neeed to leave the safety off.

I wouldn't specifically seek an ambi safety but if I did end up buying another 1911 that had one I likely wouldn't remove it either. They usually have a pretty positive engagement. I doubt it would ever cause any concealed carry problems.

I think the argument for having an ambi safety for someone who is right handed is usually that then you could operate the gun with your weak side hand.

I fell for this argument years ago. But it's nonsense. Pick up your gun with your weak (left) hand. Now imagine you need to operate that safety - flip your thumb over there and swipe it. Easy as pie. Remember that "opposable" part regarding human thumbs? ;)

I have removed the ambi's from my guns and gone back to single sided. Much simpler, more reliable, less hassle. In the almost infinitesimally small scenario I might really need to use that gun weak handed, it takes no serious effort to do so. I can see where a left handed person would want one, but for a right handed person I am less sold.

Are you asking me about taking out the ambi? Oh, no problem. Fitting a thumb safety on a 1911 is very easy and you can find instructions online easily at the 1911forum.org. There is not much that you can't do yourself if you get proper advice and instruction and go slowly and carefully. Gunsmiths definitely earn their money and I like to support them, but I like to do my own work where I can.

I have three 1911s only one has an ambi safety and its not really a necessity in my book. It was however smithed in by a damn god smith so I'm leaving it where it is.

I have 4 1911s and carry a kimber "ultra carry" all day, every day. I work in my shop, get in and out of cars, mow the lawn, ride motorcycles, even get under cars and crawl through fences and never remove my gun. I check my standard left side safety frequently and have never found it disengaged. The last thing I would want would be a right side safety hanging out where it can be bumped and accidently disengaged.

I'm a southpaw w/a Springfiel 1911 loaded, and would like an ambi- safety. just have to get around to send it in. Springfield will do anything you want done to your rig. As for flipping the safety with your left thumb, your grip on your gun is weakened, and would be a liability in a scuffle. :s0131:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top