JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can anyone tell me the specific parts I need to replace the grip safety and hammer on my Springfield Armory GI Champion (part# PW9142L)? I would like to change out the non-beavertail type grip safety to a more comfortable beavertail type and I think I need to replace the factory spur'd hammer at the same time. I realize that there is some fitting involved for these parts, and I am up to the task, I just need to know where to start in finding the right parts.

If you have specific part numbers or Brownells stock numbers that would be awesome!

There are so many parts out there, I just want to make sure I order the right ones.

The 1911 isn't the typical drop in part kind of gun. I'm sorry to say it but I will, hopefully it'll save you some grief. If you can't figure out which grip safety and hammer you should use then you are not up to the task of installing them yourself. Good luck.

The 1911 isn't the typical drop in part kind of gun. I'm sorry to say it but I will, hopefully it'll save you some grief. If you can't figure out which grip safety and hammer you should use then you are not up to the task of installing them yourself. Good luck.

Nothing worth doing is easy...

I realize that I am opening a can of worms here, but I want to learn how to do this for myself. I am prepared for failure here, but am determined to learn as well. If I mess up a few parts here and there, no big deal, I can buy new ones. The worst that could happen is that I have to take my cheap 1911 to a gunsmith to have it fixed. Every other firearm I own I know inside and out and am confident in my ability to work on and adjust for performance and reliability. I bought this Springfield specifically for the purpose of learning the platform. I just need a starting point and am looking for advice. The problem is that there is so much information available on the net that it is difficult to decipher what parts I need for my specific gun. Just looking for someone who has been there and done that and can guide me away from the pitfalls of wasting money on the wrong parts. I can accept it if I screw up a part, but I don't want to waste time & money on the wrong parts to begin with.

Springfield you'll need the .220 GS, I know S&A has one and I thought EGW was releasing one as well.

Stock:
DSC_8727.jpg

Coming along:
CIMG1082.jpg

Having the pride and knowledge to alter your 1911 is great; but so is knowing your limits. I currently own 4 1911s of various size/configuration. I have done some work myself- such as swapping out guide rods, replacing firing pin springs, installing flat MSH, grips, etc. As you can see by my list, pretty much the only "drop-in" 1911 parts :)
Your post doesn't explain your level of knowledge/how familiar you are with a 1911. Have you detail stripped it yet? Too a bare frame? Managed to put to back together and still have a working gun? I would suggest you try that just to see how much fun it can be. YouTube can teach you the world :)
And to sum up my rambling response, maybe start your 1911 project with one of the easier improvements that is "drop-in". If your heart is set on learning to do it, a good/nice gunsmith will probably let you watch him as he installs your parts for you so he can explain it. One thing about the 1911- you never buy just ONE!
Its still early here but I'm taking one of my Springfields to my gunsmith to have some work done on it today. Could I do it myself? Maybe. Is it better to trust your gunsmith and know the work will be done right? For me it is.

I am fairly competent with the 1911. I have replaced just about every part that didn't require fitting at some point or another. I have stripped my 1911's down to the bare frame and a pile of parts numerous times and have had no problems getting them back together and functioning safely and properly. I am ready to take the next step into the fitting parts area. I purchased this Springfield GI specifically for this reason, so I can afford to screw it up. I am not really ready to start filing and altering the frame or slide, but I would like to be able to get the right parts to start making the gun more comfortable to shoot, i.e. beavertail grip safety and commander style hammer.

Springfield you'll need the .220 GS, I know S&A has one and I thought EGW was releasing one as well.

Stock:
DSC_8727.jpg

Coming along:
CIMG1082.jpg

That is looking pretty good, where did you get the part, and do you happen to remember the part number for the grip safety & hammer you used?

Thanks!

Hammer is off an SA loaded. Don't remember part # but Brownells carries the GS, made by S&A with .220 radius. You'll also want the .220 radius jig (I have one can borrow as well).

Some of the product reviews for the Wilson Combat "semi-drop in grip safety" say that some customers didnt have to do anything to the frame on their Springfield GI's. Does that sound right to you? If so, that might be a better option for me since that way I could still put the factory parts back in the gun if I mess up the install on the aftermarket stuff.

Update:

Just got off the phone with one of the techs at Wilson Combat and they informed me that their "semi-drop in" grip safety will fit my Springfield GI frame without any frame modifications. So I guess I'll order one of those!

I'm going to try the Wilson, I know it isn't as pretty a fit, but I'm more into function on this one.

Thanks for all the help!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads