Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

1911 Question

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by SCannon, Oct 29, 2013.

1. SCannon

SCannon Battle Ground, WA Active Member

I picked up a Para P12 a couple months ago at one of the shows. It had been upgraded quite a bit, but the frame had some scratches. I stripped it to the frame and had it Ceracoated.
    One thing that I noticed is the guide rod has a liquid in it. You can hear a 'sloshing' sound when you tip it up and down near your ear. Not very familiar with 1911's, I'm assuming it is recoil reduction, but can anyone tell me about it?

2. JSJPDX

JSJPDX East Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

A number of years ago there was a company that made full length guide rods that were filled with, if memory serves correctly, mercury and a steel ball bearing. The idea was to help dampen felt recoil. I have one in my Colt Commander that does seem to help a bit. If this is what you have, they are no longer made.

Someone else may have experience with other products that fit the description you gave.

3. Spray-n-pray

Spray-n-pray Battle Ground Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Never heard of such a thing...

4. DeanfromOregon

DeanfromOregon Wilsonville Amateur Ascended Master Platinum Supporter

Google is your friend. Just search 1911 mercury guide rod.

5. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

You must have ears like a cheetah.

orygun and (deleted member) like this.
  6. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

That is a first for me also - but then so was the laser-max guide rod that came with an old 'Franken .45' a friend of mine bought last year. The only thing I know of that truly reduces felt recoil are the shock buffs.

7. SCannon

SCannon Battle Ground, WA Active Member

Umm, not sure how to respond, but since the post was talking about the guide rod of a .45 I assumed that it would imply that I was talking about the guide rod and not the gun itself. So to clear everything up and help with reading comprehension, the guide rod makes a sloshing sound not the gun itself.

8. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

Hart's Recoil Reducer guide rods. They came out in the early 2000's...if my memory is correct.

9. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

lol. I like your sense of humor.

10. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

On a slightly similar note, in the 1950's you could buy mercury filled hubcap rings that bolted to the cars lug nuts.
    As the car sped up, the mercury would position itself equidistantly around the ring and perfectly balance the tire.
    Only saw them once, in five years of working in a tire store.

11. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

I remember mercury swtches. They controlled the light (s) in the trunk and hood. Sometimes the glass vials would break and we'd either sweep it up and stick it in the trash or just hose it down into the storm drains. Not saying it's right or wrong. It's just what we did because we were just a bunch of dumb grease monkeys who didn't know any better.