Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

1911 problem Reloads or gun itself?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by IheartGUNS, Apr 17, 2012.

1. IheartGUNS

IheartGUNS WaCo Well-Known Member

Ok so I have a 1911 that has never gave me problems, but ever since I started shooting my reloads, I get ejection problems. No jams, just brass flying everywhere. Sometimes to the face and sometimes just 2 feet away. Before my reloads, the shells would be atleast 5ft away. What could be the problem? Not enough powder? I use w231 5.1 gr of powder 230 gr rn bullet.

I doubt its the gun, because like I said never gave me problems.

2. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

do u keep ur hopper full,and do u know for suire that it drops consistanly? this could affect the ejection if the slide is not coming back with the same force every time.

3. IheartGUNS

No I don't keep it full, but when its about 1/4 I add more powder. Every 10 rounds I check the weight of the powder drop and its where it should be. Also I have the baffle for the hopper or what ever you call it.

4. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

Go back to other loads and see if it still happens.

The load you mention is not a barn burner, that's for sure. It just barely makes major power factor in a IPSC/USPSA load.

What weight of recoil spring are you using?

5. IheartGUNS

Yeah I was thinking of upping the charge to 5.4gr and see what happens. I'm using a 16.5lbs wolf spring.

6. Jacurso

Jacurso Douglas Co. Active Member

That used to be my load too....actually 5.1-5.3 of 231, depending on which 1911 I'm loading for. With my 200 gr. cast bullets I use 5.5
    Most recently I loaded up a batch of 230gr. lead with 5.4 of Tightgroup.....worked just fine in my Top of the Line Taurus 1911 and my son's RIA std. 1911. Ejection also was A-OK and a consistent 5-6 feet to my right.
    The RIA is pure stock and the port is about that of a stock Colt 1911....the ramp came polished from the factory. The Taurus is ramped and ported and both guns liked that load.