JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for a gun shop or gun smith shop in the Portland/Vanc. area that may have 1911 parts in stock. triggers, hammers, mainspring housings/mag well etc. would like to customize my gun a bit but am a newby to the1911 club so the web seems a bit overwhelming. open to suggestions. any input welcomed.

From what I can tell, online is your best bet. I looked for a while in the area and never found much. Brownell's and Midway, or manufacturer websites are all I have found. Welcome to the CLUB!

Not too many shops carry 1911 customizing parts for sale anymore... as MrBlack noted, online the way to go. You might find a local 1911 pistol smith that has parts in their inventories, but as a general rule, they're not in the business of selling parts... because parts are a means to an end... not the end itself.

I get where you're at... probably. You want to do a bit of DIY 1911 'smithing and would like to touch, smell, fondle and visualize a bit before you buy. All you can do these days is look, read, order and hope you got it on the first try. If not, it's going to cost you a few bucks to send back and re-order.
I'd be happy to give a bit of guidance as to what is worth buying and what's crap... but luckily for you, there's not a whole lot of crap left on the market.

From the aforementioned big on line distributors, to Ed Brown to Wilson Combat to Harrison Design, from Caspian to Cylinder & Slide, Fusion Firearms and EGW... it's all good to great. As most of the parts you mention are less drop-in and more "semi" drop-in (assuming you want it to look good and work correctly and not look like some dumb-a$$ hammered a square peg into a round hole)... the final quality control is going to be you.

C

Not too many shops carry 1911 customizing parts for sale anymore... as MrBlack noted, online the way to go. You might find a local 1911 pistol smith that has parts in their inventories, but as a general rule, they're not in the business of selling parts... because parts are a means to an end... not the end itself.

I get where you're at... probably. You want to do a bit of DIY 1911 'smithing and would like to touch, smell, fondle and visualize a bit before you buy. All you can do these days is look, read, order and hope you got it on the first try. If not, it's going to cost you a few bucks to send back and re-order.
I'd be happy to give a bit of guidance as to what is worth buying and what's crap... but luckily for you, there's not a whole lot of crap left on the market.

From the aforementioned big on line distributors, to Ed Brown to Wilson Combat to Harrison Design, from Caspian to Cylinder & Slide, Fusion Firearms and EGW... it's all good to great. As most of the parts you mention are less drop-in and more "semi" drop-in (assuming you want it to look good and work correctly and not look like some dumb-a$$ hammered a square peg into a round hole)... the final quality control is going to be you.

C
Thanks Creeper,I was thinking i wanted to add a bit of stainless, (Springfield Mill-spec) so i looked at the Smith and Alexander Magwell/MSHNg but the Springfield has an internal locking mechanism that's keyed thru the MSHNg so i don't know if it would be better to keep to stock housing and just add the type of mag well that fits around the grip screws. I would also like to change the grip safety to stainless with some checkering for a more secure hand hold as the front of the frame grip is smooth. i read online where a guy ordered the wrong grip safety and had to do some cutting on it or the frame,,,???? i was a bit confused. pretty sure i don't want to do that. last couple of things would be a combat skeletonized type hammer and trigger mainly because i think they look good. This is not my carry weapon or my H/D gun so Im not concerned about having too much stainless. Im wanting to make it a fun range gun that is aesthetically pleasing. any suggestions or cautions?

Mainspring housing- order the one you want and a MSH rebuild kit and ditch the SA with ILS. This will also help your trigger out as SA uses a heavier mainspring for their ILS.

Grip safety- You can get drop in GS that look like SH!T, or you can get an S&A .220 grip safety and jig and fit it. This involves filing/work but will look much better. You'll replace hammer at this time and trigger if you want.

Checkering front strap- Send it to a 'smith, and in this case have the other work done as well. Or use grip tape, or the Wilson drop in fake checkered front strap.

Thanks Creeper,I was thinking i wanted to add a bit of stainless, (Springfield Mill-spec) so i looked at the Smith and Alexander Magwell/MSHNg but the Springfield has an internal locking mechanism that's keyed thru the MSHNg so i don't know if it would be better to keep to stock housing and just add the type of mag well that fits around the grip screws. I would also like to change the grip safety to stainless with some checkering for a more secure hand hold as the front of the frame grip is smooth. i read online where a guy ordered the wrong grip safety and had to do some cutting on it or the frame,,,???? i was a bit confused. pretty sure i don't want to do that. last couple of things would be a combat skeletonized type hammer and trigger mainly because i think they look good. This is not my carry weapon or my H/D gun so Im not concerned about having too much stainless. Im wanting to make it a fun range gun that is aesthetically pleasing. any suggestions or cautions?

Keep in mind, very few 1911's are modular guns. Almost all of the parts need to be hand fit in one form or another. If it is something you are seriously interested in and have a mechanical aptitude, look into a 1911 customizing class. Some of the JC's that have gunsmithing programs offer short courses in specific topics, and some companies (Cylinder and Slide, I believe) offer courses as well.
Not trying to stymie your enthusiasm, just a friendly reminder that often times paying a gunsmith to fix something you started yourself is more expensive than having them do it in the first place. But if that's a risk you're willing to take, then have fun. It can be very rewarding to have a gun you did the work on yourself. :s0155:

Every other gun shop in town has recommended Allison and Carey. Just got off the phone, they got nothing.

ETA: If you do find anything, would love to pick up a cheap flat MSH locally.

Thanks to every one who posted and pm'd advice and info. I'm looking to do some of the work myself as i do a bit of mechanical and steel fab. and have learned through trial and error not to try to beat a craftsman at his own trade. ; ) even though its a entry level gun i want a nice finished product, so i plan on doing the cosmetic drop in stuff my self like the Msh and mag guide, but i ll def leave the 'smithing' to the smith. Thanks again to all.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top