JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Where to begin ? Can't say it's with a particular brand of clip.

Yeah I know I could Youtube it but I get bored of linear online instruction.

FWIW hollowpoint. Kinda feel like FMJ might have been better. I just got a big bag of hollowpoints I need to use.

If you have a Series 70 1911 pistol, it should have the narrow FMJ ball ammo feed ramp. The pistol was designed to feed round nose ball ammo. If a Series 70 fed JHP, it was purely accidental and you were very lucky but not something you would want to bet on.
A lot of gunsmiths back then made a steady living polishing feed ramps so that they would reliably feed hollow points. I remember the Speer 200 grain hollow point, nicknamed "the flying ash tray", gave a lot of gunsmiths fits trying to get it to feed.
Anyway, take a look at your feed ramp. If it's a collectible gun, I would leave it. If it's not, an old school gunsmith should be able to fix it pretty quick.

@nammac tuned me in on how to polish those feed ramps some time ago. Doesn't take much more than a dremel with a polishing wheel and some decent compound that isn't overly abrasive. I believe he suggested Mother's mag polish.

What I came up with on my own 70 series Colt long ago, was to stick with RN ball ammo. Never a glitch then. Neither flying ash trays nor SWC worked reliably in mine. Never a problem with RN ball either 230 or 200. Good luck.

I never shot anything but 230gr FMJ's. And that was for carry too.:s0155:

Sorry OP, I know that doesn't exactly answer your question.:cool:

@nammac tuned me in on how to polish those feed ramps some time ago. Doesn't take much more than a dremel with a polishing wheel and some decent compound that isn't overly abrasive. I believe he suggested Mother's mag polish.
Yes sir, like the felt polishing tip and some Mother's, just looking for a more mirror finish, just a polish, not a cut. Has worked on my finicky 1911's...

Most 1911 barrels and feed ramps don't need polishing...what they need is a "Throat" job. This is the process where the opening to the chamber and feed ramp are worked over.

See the difference in the pic below;

Most stock barrels look like the one on the left. What we're after is the one in the middle.

Throated.jpg

Stock Colt. Good question. I have another with dual springs. Maybe I'll do a comparison. I don't shoot that other Colt much at all she is pretty but too fancy for me. The ladies like her. That's one of the product lines I'm working on. Women's firearms. I digress. The basic gov model my beater everyday firearm is prob my favorite.

Thanks all for the advice

One of my Colt 1911's had a similar issue and I installed a new Wolff recoil spring that was 1 lb. heavier if I recall correctly.
I think it slowed the slide down just enough to allow it to feed more reliably, but that's just a guess on my part.
I really like Wolff recoils spring packs, as they allow you to swap up or down, depending on the type of ammo you're shooting.

One of my Colt 1911's had a similar issue and I installed a new Wolff recoil spring that was 1 lb. heavier if I recall correctly.
I think it slowed the slide down just enough to allow it to feed more reliably, but that's just a guess on my part.
I really like Wolff recoils spring packs, as they allow you to swap up or down, depending on the type of ammo you're shooting.
Curious heavier lighter springs - effect. So...I don't like it too soft or hard. Like dual recoil is like a bb gun. 357 mag revolver is to dry feeling for me. Like hot sauce. Looking for the right balance. Sure do want a Commander pistol tho.

I bought this .45 acp Colt Officers model from a guy who was 90% blind from diabetes, as new never fired.
It wouldn't feed reliably, so I had the ejection port flared and lowered, plus the feed ramp polished.
It's a handful to shoot, but it's got some weight to it, so that helps it some.

colt 80's  Mark lV officers 004.JPG

I bought this .45 acp Colt Officers model from a guy who was 90% blind from diabetes, as new never fired.
It wouldn't feed reliably, so I had the ejection port flared and lowered, plus the feed ramp polished.
It's a handful to shoot, but it's got some weight to it, so that helps it some.

View attachment 780427
Whats the emblem? Keeping her clean. What is your compound of choice? Maybe shine her tail?

A good gunsmith like Velzey is the answer. "The enemy of good is better" especially true when attempting my own kitchen table gunsmithing.

Last Edited:
L U B R I C A T I O N !!!

1911s like to be shot wet. Let that slide fly free!!!

I shot USPSA and IDPA with my Para P14.45... it didn't take too long of having problems before an old 1911 shooter clued me in on lubing up just prior to shooting a match... the gun, not me.

A 1911 has a few different primary types of malfunctions including failure to feed, failure to extract, and failure to eject.
Each type of failure has a few different potential reasons.
What does your failure look like? Do you have a picture?

If you have a Series 70 1911 pistol, it should have the narrow FMJ ball ammo feed ramp. The pistol was designed to feed round nose ball ammo. If a Series 70 fed JHP, it was purely accidental and you were very lucky but not something you would want to bet on.
A lot of gunsmiths back then made a steady living polishing feed ramps so that they would reliably feed hollow points. I remember the Speer 200 grain hollow point, nicknamed "the flying ash tray", gave a lot of gunsmiths fits trying to get it to feed.
Anyway, take a look at your feed ramp. If it's a collectible gun, I would leave it. If it's not, an old school gunsmith should be able to fix it pretty quick.

Took the words right outta my mouth. Truth!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top