JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
A couple of questions about magazines?
Are the WIlson magazines superior to the Mccormick power mags?
Are the Wilson CETM that much better than the 47D magazines?

I picked up a RIA compact 1911 - nothing fancy - it shot much better than what I was expecting - what do you guys recoomend for the magazines?
I have been using the Colt magazines and Kimber magazines but I am looking for more reliability. I have two CETM's that I have been using but at 37$ a pop I am curious is this is the best way to go.

I have done a lot of reading on line _ I would really like someone that knows about these magazines to weigh in.

Honestly I was very impressed by the RIA compact - it shot ball without issue with any magazine I used. If my pistol is a good representation I think it would be hard to for the price to beat it. I was not expecting much - it is worth more to me than I paid for it - cant say that about a lot of purchases?

James Ruby

I have some of the Chip McCormick Power Mag Plus mags for my 1911's. I like them and they are good mags, but I can't say they are any better than Wilson mags or even milsurp mags. Even expensive mags can have problems if the feed lips are bent or there is something wrong with the follower.

The difference with any standard length magazine tube that's been modified to accept one more round than originally engineered for, will come very clear when trying to insert this type fully loaded, with the slide forward...the fight will be on! One has to ram the magazine home to get them to seat, which is the problem with the 47D's.

The ETM's have an extended magazine tube design, which allows greater ease of loading when the magazine is full and the slide forward.

I happen to use ETM's, as they have shown consistent reliability in every 1911 I use them in.

As for the the Wilson vs McCormick thing...because of the differences in the individual 1911 makers specs, I'm just not seeing a clear cut winner as to the 'best' magazine.

So the bottom line...the best magazine is the one that will consistently work with your 1911...every time.

I agree with your statement - about the one that works.

I know just quit being cheap - buy the CETM's. They work fine in my Eclipse. Buy them once.

What do you guys reccomend for magazines for the RIA compact as I dont think they make officer model CETM's for it.

James Ruby

spend as much or as little on mags as you want.

mags that have worked well for me:

original blued 7 round colt mags
mec-gar
cmc. the expensive ones, not the shooting star mags.
act-mag and all act-mag made elsewise branded as like s&w, novak, fusion, ria, etc.

mags that have failed me too often for me to purchase agian:

original blued 7 round colt mags
kimber
u.s. mag
factory springfield

mags that i have not tried but have a paladdium reputation:

tripp research cobra mags
wilson combat mags

i usually try to pick up either an act-mag or mecgar. they are both available in 7 and 8 round capacities and ar generaly about half the price of the other mags like the ilson and cobras. also at $7 apiece, the used colt mags are a good deal, as long as the 7 round capacity doesn't bother you. most work, but a few won't. sometimes a new spring will fix the issue, sometimes not. and at $7 i don't hesitate to take a hammer or pliers to them to try to get them functional. sell the ones that don't, and buy more. eventually you will have a bunch of reliable mags.

also don't forget to mark your mags so you can keep track of stopages. sell or toss the repeat offenders.

I use Kimber 7 round and Chip's 7 round mags in all makes of compact 1911s without a hitch.
They are not hard to fill and they do not have to be "slammed home" when inserting them.

I like the McCormick mags.They have always worked perfect for me,and they are a little cheaper than the Wilson.
But I buy Wilsons if I can.They don't stick around the stores up here very long.

Never Triple K.Every type of Triple K mag I have tried was junk. There holsters are great though.

G L O C K s - all she wrote...

Yes, we get it. You're a Glock fanboy. Your first post in this thread sufficiently conveyed that. Now you're just being repetitive.

Personally, I like the Wilson 8-rd mags. So far the only issue that I have ever had with one was an ETM that FTF the last round in the mag. I got it used, so it's probably more an issue with an old spring or follower rather than the mag design.

Uhm, okay...

That doesn't answer the question. I didn't say a word about Glocks-- don't own one, never will.

I humbly apologize - Jammer six I am sorry, I was wrong. I have no idea how glock got into the conversation. What I am looking at is the best reliability and cost comparison. The more exspensive the magazines the fewer and visa versa. I have pretty much determined that Wilson even though painfully exspensive maybe the best bet for my government models. I am not finding Wilson ETM in officer model - so I am curious as to what is recomended there. I am hearing bad things about the Wilson 47D magazines.

Respectfully

James Ruby

I have had better luck with Wilson's rather than Mccormick. In fact I haven't had a bad Wilson, but in general, I don't trust any magazine until I have used it several times with no issues.

As opossed to asking a very small number of people that might respond in a forum like this, maybe you should consider going to a sight like MidwayUSA and look at the ratings of probably quite a few people that have been made for a particular candidate.

If you see a high count of ratings and a high rating for an item, odds are you have a winner. If you see a decent count on rating and a mid to low rating you might want to stay away from that item. Amazon sells magazines, has a massive audience and has ratings.

That might give you a much better statistical sample and therefore a more accurate measure then you're going to get from text advice on a forum.

If this does not make sense maybe ask some friend who knows some about computers how to do searches and see consumer ratings and such as that.

Just an idea.

I have a similar compact 1911 made by armscor. I have one 7 round actmag, one 7 round promag, and one 7 round kimber magazine.

They are all 100% reliable so far.

The only issue I've run into is what wichaka mentioned about trying to seat a full magazine with the slide forward. It just doesn't work with the promag. Works fine with the other two.

That's why I'm saying to look at their ratings of the item, not just how many people bought. Most people who purchase an item that turns out bad for them don't leave a positive rating (high stars or whatever), they leave a negative one. So:

1 Higher number of ratings (so you get a good number of peoples experiences)
2 Good overall rating for the item

Lots of times if you read the reviews you also get little bits of information that can be helpful.

Somebody at lunch mentioned Cheaper than Dirt and Cabelas both have reviews/ratings as well as Midway and Amazon.

The problem I see with ratings...they need to be kept in perspective.

When reading about someone's review, we need the person's frame of reference, past experience, actual experience, or other qualifiers to their review/opinion.

Some reviews that state "this X item was amazing!", or "the ABC bolt-on made by XYZ is the best!", may mean little, if this is the first one they've ever owned or came in contact with.

Too many opinions from folks who really have little exposure to said product.

Can't tell ya how many times I have read on here and other forums;
"I love my XYZ carbine or pistol!", yet come to find out they've have had the thing for a year or so, and are still on the first case of ammo they bought with the gun.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads