JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I did a detailed cleaning on my Kimber Compact this weekend. Not really knowing what I was doing I tweaked the magazine release lock.

I got it cleaned, put back together and it does work but it's ugly and feels 'sticky'.

I researched magazine release parts and discovered that the release itself, the spring and the lock are separate parts (strikes me as odd but okay).

My guess is my spring is rusted/damaged and needs to be replaced and that's what's making it feel sticky. I can also replace the lock to fix the cosmetic damage done to the slot in the lock head.

So here's my question(s):
1. Are all 1911 mag releases (and parts) the same size (compact vs. full size; Kimber vs. Colt etc.)

2. Is there any reason to replace the mag release itself? If so do I go with Kimber, Les Bear, Wilson or something else?

3. What's the proper way to remove the mag release so I don't damage the lock again?

TIA

What is ugly and feels 'sticky'?

If any part of it feels sticky you may want to ask some of the people in your area to look at it. Until you have it running smooth I would recommend against firing the weapon.

You should be able to download the exploded view of your pistol from kimber. And you tube has several very good detailed videos on how to completely take down a 45.

At this point I suggest using facotory parts unless someone helps you in selecting aftermarket. i don't how many questions I have ask about my 45 and I have always gotten good help.

They are all the same parts, no different for compacts. I'm worried that you may have raised a little burr or something in your disassembly process. If you were removing it improperly under spring tension, the catch may have rubbed on the frame or the release and made a little bump that now gets caught when you're activating the release.
Hopefully it's something on the release or the catch, that's easy to replace. When you are removing the catch, it's a matter of not forcing anything. Just place the screwdriver tip in the catch and push the release until you can easily turn the screw. When you turn the screw all the way it will just fall out.

Thanks for the replies.

By sticky I mean that when I push the mag release it is not a smooth depression. The mag is held in place and the mag drops when the button is pushed. It just isn't smooth.

By ugly I mean that I tried to move the lock without having the button depressed and it torqued the slot on the lock. Once I realized you needed to depress the button before turning the lock I was able to remove the mag release and put it back in after I was done cleaning.

I inspected the channel the lock goes into and did not see any burrs. Any damage done was done to the lock itself.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top