JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for recommendations for a 1911 in 9mm. I am wanting a smaller gun that could be used to carry on occasion. Also, I'm trying to stay at the lower end of the 1911 price range for this one. Online research brings me to guns like the Citadel compact, Rock Island, Taurus.... are there others I should be considering?

Let's hear your thoughts/recommendations. Thanks

What is your price range? For a little over $600 you can get a RIA 1911 with the combo barrels for 9mm and 22TCM. Almost 2 guns for one. I have the last generation and it is decent (except for the grips but the newest generation replaced these). 4lbs trigger, nice reset, very smooth slide action

but be warned I've had indoor ranges not let me shoot 22 TCM because the velocities are too high.

http://armscor.com/firearms/tcm-series/

Last Edited:
I've got a RIA commander in 10mm that works pretty good but I've done quite a bit of work to it. Just remember, the less you spend upfront on the gun the more you will potentially spend in upgrades. If you're trying to stay budget friendly I'd personally go with RIA. I've had experience with Taurus and ATI and some of the other "lower end" 1911's and the RIA seemed to have the most bang for your buck. Just my 2 cents worth

The Rock Islands are about the best priced I think a person can do good with, and still be able to up grade as they wish! For a slightly better rig, A Kimber compact ultra carry II is a pretty sweet rig but the price is around $800 and up! Fishermans usually has them on sale for under $800 and would be a great deal at that point!

I bought and have been very pleasantly surprised by my Rock Island 1911 (9mm). No failures of any kind - round count is now over 1,500.

To keep your costs down pick a model that already has the features you want. For example I wanted rear adjustable, front fiber optic, magwell and aggressive grips and got them with the Ultra FS (#51623)...thereby not having to spend any money on upgrades.

If you get one be sure to follow their directions for degreasing it before first use.

I bought and have been very pleasantly surprised by my Rock Island 1911 (9mm). No failures of any kind - round count is now over 1,500.........................To keep your costs down pick a model that already has the features you want. For example I wanted rear adjustable, front fiber optic, magwell and aggressive grips and got them with the Ultra FS (#51623)...thereby not having to spend any money on upgrades......If you get one be sure to follow their directions for degreasing it before first use.
I bought the same RIA 1911, but haven't run that many rounds through yet. Like techiej said, degrease it first, mine was dripping with oil.

The Rock Islands are about the best priced I think a person can do good with, and still be able to up grade as they wish! For a slightly better rig, A Kimber compact ultra carry II is a pretty sweet rig but the price is around $800 and up! Fishermans usually has them on sale for under $800 and would be a great deal at that point!

That does sound like a good deal. I hear good things about Kimber. What about the Colt Dedender? That seems to be at a similar price point.

That does sound like a good deal. I hear good things about Kimber. What about the Colt Dedender? That seems to be at a similar price point.
I have both the Colt New agent ( almost the same as the defender) and it's twin the Kimber. Both are very good, very tough, and reliable. Kimber does have one advantage, it has a fully supported barrel. Both would be an excellent investment. You could also go with the Mustang to get a bit smaller frame, but you loose a few rounds in the process. Some people complain that these require a paper clip type tool for take down, It is no big deal, and can be done with out the tool, just takes a bit of practice. With both of mine, I got the plain Jane versions, knowing I wanted to choose the sights and grips and other things and so I didn't have to pay extra for stuff I would toss in the parts bin and forget about! I use Meprolight night sights on both, I use the hoage over molded rubber grips with finger groves and I changed the grip safeties to Ed Brown memory bump with slot and changed my main spring housing to the old round style with lanyard loop. I also installed the over size mag release button from Fusion and the larger left side only thumb safety as well as the extended slide stop/release lever! That's the true beauty of the 1911 design, you can configure it just about any way you like, and have a really nice carry piece.

The prices on the newer colts really aren't bad. Another 100 to 200 bucks over the ria to have a colt is worth it. Here my combat commander in 9mm think I paid 650 for it used with less then a box through it

image.jpeg

Check with Bud's and Gun Broker. For whatever reason, handguns seem to be less expensive in other states. They are sold by reputable stores for hundreds less. I've found what I want locally to see if it is a good fit and then ordered it online. You pay the dealer for the item and shipping. Then you pay your local FFL the sales tax and transfer fee. I've still come in under the local Sale prices on several differnt items.

Or go to Keiths and get the same price locally.

I too am looking for a 9mm 1911. I was told to stay away from the Colt Defender, and online research didn't instill any confidence to go against that recommendation.....

I really do love my RIA 9mm/22TCM combo full size. Swapped the grips for some Hogue grips, only other thing I didn't like was the plain front blade. Otherwise, it's a super reliable, very accurate pistol with a trigger as good as any 1911 this side of a grand. The new commander size would probably do the trick.

If you just want a small SAO 9mm that mostly acts like a 1911, look at a little P938. can't do much smaller than that...

Another choice which I got my wife is the iver Johnson thrasher. It's an officers size and uses a dual recoil set up it really is a soft shooter and has been pretty damn reliable so far it is a bit heavy though. Excuse the color

9E48C38D-7EF9-4964-922D-B85FAEEB390C_zpszifup325.jpg

My wife usually carries it outside the waist band in a pancake holster with a coat but you could wear it inside too it's fairly small the barrel is a bit of an odd one believe it's 3.18 inches and it's a bull barrel with a reverse plug and dual recoil springs there it is compared to the commander

image.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top