JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Soo My next gun id like to buy is a 1911 style gun in .40, I don't want .45 iv grown very fond of .40 and am going to stay with that. Id like a compact/compact model, Iv heard Wilson, STI and Kember all make one, Id like to keep it fairly cheap if at all possible, any suggestions?

I don't know if there is a particularly cheap way to get into a .40 S&W 1911. It's a fairly specialized firearm. I've always wanted a 1911 in .357 Sig, but I have the same issue...

I think the cheapest way into a 1911 in .40 is Fusion Firearms. I know kimber made them for awhile, I have one, but they stopped making them. Both STI, and SVI make
40's but they are going to be pretty pricey.

I did see this the other day on another forum.

<broken link removed>

I would not recommend any compact 1911 of any thing less then Commander size! Unfortunately, with the 1911 platform, bigger is always better! I have had the experience that many others have had with both Colt new detectives and my Kimber pro carry II, Compact 1911's tend to over run the mag and fail to feed often enough to make them unsuitable for carry! Would you bet your life on a gun knowing it may fail to feed? I would hope not! It takes some very specialized gun smithing ( very expensive) and a carefully worked up hand load of defense capable ammo to make one of these Compacts run reliably! Worse yet, the .40 cal generates higher pressures and that makes the slide cycle even faster making failures to feed even more likely! I would recommend staying with a commander size, maybe one of the new high cap versions out there! Don't go smaller then that! you can get them in 9 mm 10 mm .40 s/w, .38 super, and .45! They are also gonna set you back close to a grand for a standard gun and much more for a really nice one! Fusion makes a very nice unit for a decent price, as does STI! For a good standard gun, hard to beat a COLT!

Weird, my Kimber Ultra CDPII eats anything I put in it including various hand loads with cast round nose or truncated cone boolits.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top