JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have decided I'm not complete till I have a 1911! I would prefer a compact carry size. I have been leaning to words a Kimber, but have heard talk about how they are overpriced because of the brand. Most times that talk is just people who are jealous and can't afford one. I don't know much about 1911's of any brand or size. I am looking to spend around $1200.00 + or - cash. I am curious what the wisdom of 1911 owners can give me? I like the idea of a small compact but would anyone strongly suggest going for a full size? also what price,brand or model should I be on the lookout for? I don't mind buying used if it is fairly new, I don't necessarily need a bran spanking new one. Thanks in advance for the advice.

I'm not a 1911 guy, but I drool over the smith and wesson E series every time I see it. Good reviews, and you're in the right price neighborhood. Check 'em out. Prettiest belle at the ball, in my opinoon.

Here are a few thoughts. My opinions and others are valid, too.

1) The real "joy" of the 1911 is how it fits the hand, and how the system handles the .45acp cartridge well. This is best done in a full size, 5" "Government Model" platform. That is not a real friendly concealed carry piece; it's a combat side-arm.

2) A bit of a compromise on this is the Commander model, 4.25" barrel length, still a full grip frame though. Comes in lightweight or all-steel. Steel is much more pleasant to shoot, lightweight a little bit easier to carry (not a ton, though).

3) "Officer" and smaller size are easier to carry, but aren't as pleasant to shoot. A continuing trade off.

4) Among compacts, a (relatively) new gun that is interesting and earning rave reviews is the Colt Agent - it's compact, and in 9mm and .45acp.

Over the years I've gravitated from others and towards the Colt brand; I find it the most rewarding trade-off in cost/quality/design. There's a variety of 1911 style pistols from $500 to $5000, you have to really figure your wants and then go shopping and learning. As to Kimber, I have owned Kimbers in the past and own one currently. There are good ones and there are bad ones, much more so in modern ones than older ones (say, pre-2003). I can't in good conscience recommend it as wholeheartedly as other makes for similar or less money. But it might work for you depending upon what you want.

Here's one of my favorite 1911 types, an all-steel Colt Commander (aka, 'Combat Commander'), and in 9mm. Carry is not too bad, and it shoots very sweetly (and more cheaply!) with the lighter round.

9f3cfd37.jpg

My favorite aspect of every 1911 I have ever held is how they fit in my hand. I love the feel of then. I also want it to be steel construction I don't mind the extra weight and enjoy a nice heavy steel gun. I definitely want it in .45 I have enough 9mm. Thanks for the input I really like the looks of their colt. But still that Springfield is awesome. Also I have always had a soft spot for Sig Sauer. I love all my Sig's and if they are better than kimber I will buy one of those. But I still am leaning twords the kimber

If it was me, i would stay away from the more compact 1911s and just go for a full sized one. as far as what to get, it really depends on really what your looking to spend and if your looking for a American made gun or if that does not matter.
With a 1200$ budget, I think your in Colt gold cup range which was what I had been looking at on my last 1911 purchase. They were going for 1100 or so new but this was before Sandyhook. If you added another 100$ or so, maybe more, you could pick up a SA TRP which is a very fine weapon.

I really like my 3" ultra carrry kimber. shoots great and has a good manageable recoil as witnessed a few ago by a smaller build women whom had never fired a 45. she was willing and after one shot the gun kept going bang througtht the whole magazine.
Having said that I think every mans first 45 should be a 5" government model. Make a good serach and compare, take notes when you handle a pistol. Then decide which one is for you.

FYI - If a shop has a gun you like and has lawaway put it on layawway while continuing your search. You can alway change your mind, but harder to do if the gun is sold.

It would be nice to have a full size, it just seems like it would be to big. I guess if I purchased a full sized model I wouldn't carry it and just have it be a bedside/target pistol. I would like it to be made in U.S. cause all my U.S. tools are nicer than the cheap china ones. Although I do love Toyotas lol. I don't mind saving up another couple hundred bucks if 1500 could get me a much nicer 1911. If you guys that own one or more 1911 were to buy your first one what would it have been? I can't afford to go over 2k but I could save for a few more months and buy one at 1500 if its worth it. What do you think?

I have been shooting 1911s since 1976. I like the full size (5" barrel) government models best. They conceal quite nicely because the weapon is flat compared to a revolver or double stack semi-auto. I shoot the full size better too. At any rate I wouldn't go any smaller than Commander size (4 1/4" barrel). As to brands, I like Colt, Kimber and Springfield Armory. My two cents worth.

5'11" 165 with a 30 inch waist and daily carry a full size 1911. A Springfield TRP, even has a magwell. Never have any real problems with printing, even when I wear somewhat fitted clothing. A 1911 is very slim and the edges on the slide are rounded, so they don't protrude much. That said, as with any pistol, your choice in a quality belt and holster will affect your ability to carry to a very great degree.

I'm personally a fan of Springfield due to their lifetime warranty and legendary customer service, that is not to say they are the end all of 1911's though.

If it was me, I would find a good used stock Colt full size, and spend the extra money that I saved buying used and then add grips, night sights and a trigger job if needed.

I've been shooting, carrying and competing with a full size 1911 .45 for the past 10 years or so. I'm a real big fan of Kimber as my experience with them has been nothing but great. I have read all the troubles other people have had with Kimber but I have nothing but positive things to say about the two I've owned.

Maybe its just the model of Colts and Springfields I've shot but I don't really like how loose the slide to frame fit is nor the trigger on either.

If I were to get another 1911 other than a Kimber it would have to be a Sig. The craftsmanship really shows in the entire Sig line including their 1911.

Thanks for all the imput! I love all the info I can get. I am also 5'11" 165 do you have to change your wardrobe to carry the full size model? I normally just wear jeans and a t-shirt. With maybe a light sweat shirt. And I would imagine it would be printing and flashing people all the time. Ideally I would buy a nice carry and a full size target 1911, but my wife would kill me it I spent that much. It has already taken me forever to save up this much ( we are doing some financial peace course through my church and it has taught me not to "blow" all my money on guns. I know its sad but it really is a good class ). So since this we be the last gun I buy for a while I want it to be perfect! I have a sig 238 that I love!!! It is seriously one of my favorite guns I own and amazingly accurate. I got it to be my primary carry weapon. But having a .45 is really want I wanted to carry. All my google searching had me drooling over the look of kimber and my experience with sig makes me want one of their 1911's really bad. I am so torn. I want my first 1911 to be perfect!

My Springfield Ultra Compact is all Stainless Steel with Trijicon Night Sights. It has a 3.25" bull barrel. It is assembled in USA from parts made in Brazil. It has a lifetime warranty. I did have to replace the extractor in mine and I went with a Wilson Combat Bullet Proof Extractor and have had ZERO problems since. I picked it up from a member of this forum for $800. Best money I have spent on a handgun.

I am actually able to shoot this compact better and more accurately than my old Government 5" model, or my friends Kimber TLE/RL 5"-go figure. I have relatively no problem carrying this gun.

That said, here is a pic:

springer003.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------

Capitalism is BO$$!!!!

Thanks for all the imput! I love all the info I can get. I am also 5'11" 165 do you have to change your wardrobe to carry the full size model? I normally just wear jeans and a t-shirt. With maybe a light sweat shirt. And I would imagine it would be printing and flashing people all the time. Ideally I would buy a nice carry and a full size target 1911, but my wife would kill me it I spent that much. It has already taken me forever to save up this much ( we are doing some financial peace course through my church and it has taught me not to "blow" all my money on guns. I know its sad but it really is a good class ). So since this we be the last gun I buy for a while I want it to be perfect! I have a sig 238 that I love!!! It is seriously one of my favorite guns I own and amazingly accurate. I got it to be my primary carry weapon. But having a .45 is really want I wanted to carry. All my google searching had me drooling over the look of kimber and my experience with sig makes me want one of their 1911's really bad. I am so torn. I want my first 1911 to be perfect!

The only change I make is to buy my pants an inch or two larger. It did take a few different combinations of holsters before I found what works best for me. If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought my belt BEFORE swapping holsters a bunch. A good gunbelt makes a huge difference. I got mine from TT Gunleather.

I went to sportsmans and held the few 1911's they had in stock. They only had one kimber carry. But I absolutely love the full size version. It had nice balace the weight felt great. And it seems it would pack just as easy as the compact size. I held the kimber but they didn't have a good steel frame for me to get accuainted with. The Sig's didn't really feel as nice but they didn't have a great variety. The one Springfield they had was all steel, felt amazing and was 1600 bucks. It was a 1911 trp. So in conclusion I need to hold more models. I am now leaning towards a full size. Just not sure of the brand I want. 1600 for the Springfield seems really steep, but I am sure I need to look at more full size kimbers and Springfields in full size and carry.

I just bought a Ruger SR1911 and it should be here on Thursday. Found out later that I could have bought one locally at Keith's as they had 2 in stock on Friday when my Brother-in-law went in to Keith's to get his rifle. I've shot the SR1911 and I love it, so looking forward to getting my own.

I've had everything from a Rock Island Armory 1911 to a Colt Gold Cup. Right now, I'm totally convinced the best bang for the buck are the Sig 1911s. I have two now, a compact C3 (Alloy framed, Officers size grip with a Commander sized slide) and a brand new full-sized Nitron. They both are incredibly accurate. All the Sig 1911s come with match grade barrels and internals, are drop dead gorgeous, and have slide to frame fits that equal any other production gun out there. Both of mine have been perfect running machines. Sig also has set its price point hundreds of dollars lower than equivalent Kimber or Springfield versions. They're made in the USA despite their German name and heritage. They do have external extractor which turns off some people, but they run like a dream and outshoot anything I've had before except maybe the Gold Cup, but it was a target pistol with adjustable sights. The Sig 1911 slide profile is also cut a bit differently, but foe those who don't like it they have a conventionally milled slide on their Conventional 1911 line.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

I went to sportsmans and held the few 1911's they had in stock. They only had one kimber carry. But I absolutely love the full size version. It had nice balace the weight felt great. And it seems it would pack just as easy as the compact size. I held the kimber but they didn't have a good steel frame for me to get accuainted with. The Sig's didn't really feel as nice but they didn't have a great variety. The one Springfield they had was all steel, felt amazing and was 1600 bucks. It was a 1911 trp. So in conclusion I need to hold more models. I am now leaning towards a full size. Just not sure of the brand I want. 1600 for the Springfield seems really steep, but I am sure I need to look at more full size kimbers and Springfields in full size and carry.
You have just realized you caught the 1911 bug
A good iwb like crossbreed and you will hardly know it is there, the pro is a nice compromise between the full and compact size just my .02

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top