1911 grips - countersink to install medallions?

Reactions
Never done this myself, fyi.

However, I am guessing that medallions are flat on the bottom. If you use a standard drill bit, you will have a tapered bottom on the hole you drill. With a forstner bit, you will have a flat bottom on the hole and you could glue your medallion right in. You would have to select the size of the forstner bit to match the medallion, and then drill it deep enough by going slow and checking along the way. Good luck with your project!

Reactions
For Colt medallions, you need a 33/64" Forstner bit. You won't likely find one commercially available, so a 1/2" and some dremel work to the inside will do it for you. A drill press is good, a hand drill can work if you are steady and careful. here's a thread where we talked about it in depth at the 1911 Forum:

adding grip medallions - 1911Forum

Reactions
Well, at $7 for a Forstner, going into a more valuable pair of grips, I would not scrimp on the $3 price difference.

The Forstner will leave no different a hole on the backside than a brad point - in fact the only hold on the back is going to be the pilot hole you drill for both, so that's moot. And I dont' know why you'd bother plugging it - it's on the back side and immaterial when the grips are mounted. The other things a Forstner does better is make a flat-bottomed cavity, which is desirable here. I could easily see doing the job adequately with a brad-point bit, but were I going to buy a new bit for this job, the $3 for the right bit is the way to go, I think.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Free Firearms Safety Course Webinar (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom). Registration Link in the course description.
Washington, USA
Rimfire Challenge Feb 13th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA
Rimfire Challenge May 8th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Paul A Martin Historical Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Great shop, selection and atmosphere
    One of the better firearm shop experiences I’ve had, Paul is very patient and helpful. Definitely going to be a repeat customer even though it’s...
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Service! A+
    Steve is a very nice guy and very easy to work with. I've done business with him a few times and will continue to.
    5.00 star(s)
    Great guy!
    Steve is a great guy to deal with!
  • HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Nice Home Shop
    Had what I wanted at a good price. Messaged me when in stock.
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Service
    Steve is an excellent guy to deal with. After looking at some Form 4 items at another dealer who didnt seem interested in my money, i emailed...
Top Bottom