JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think that the front slide serrations are the ugliest thing one can do to a 1911.
I understand that they are competition item, so why are they on many "defensive" 1911s?
What do you think?

It is all personel preferance. I think they are sexy on a new gun, but don't want them on my series 70 or earlier guns. Most semi custom builders like Nighthawk, Wilson...... will build it your way if you want to wait a bit more. My Nighthawk GRP is without them. But my custom Springfields has them for sure. Enjoy!

Last Edited:
I think that the front slide serrations are the ugliest thing one can do to a 1911.
I understand that they are competition item, so why are they on many "defensive" 1911s?

The front slide serrations started with competition guns that had optics. However they also can be used for a press check. There are some people who don't like doing a press check by grabbing that part of the slide from underneath because there have been individuals who have accidentally shot themselves doing this in a sloppy fashion.

The reason they are still there has to do with custom and semi-custom shops adding them and others (i.e. Kimber, Springfield, etc.) following their lead. They are functional but not necessary.

I don't like them. I had Colts with them and got rid of them, Smooth slides with no big billboards on the sides for me. Like this. :)

Dan Wesson 2009 #69 0f 360. Heritage 45. With some of my Heritage. :)

wrong002.jpg

NO! Worst aesthetic development EVER on the 1911. When they were all the rage on 5" guns and couldn't be escaped, I became a fan of the 4"-4.25" models.

1) Top-off the magazine.
2) Check the last witness hole to ensure you didn't miscount.
2) Insert the magazine.
3) Rack the slide.
4) Eject the magazine.
5) Top-off the magazine.*
6) Reinsert the magazine.

*If the magazine accepts a round, you have one in the chamber.

Aesthetically, I could care less. My S&W 1911 has them, although I don't use them. Its too easy for part of your hand to end up on the wrong end of the muzzle during a press check. And for that, I dislike them. Some people aren't smart enough not to muzzle themselves. Some people aren't experienced enough to know better. The front serrations make it seem like its appropriate to do. So no, I would avoid them on future 1911 purchases.

I have them on my 1911 and I use them, there is a range that I sometimes go to and just because the way I stand it its easier to use the front ones.

Out in the open I would pull from the back though

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top