Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

1911 for Jenny - Colt Defender vs Colt Officers

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Joe Link, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I've been racking my brain for the past few days thinking of a good gun that fits Jenny's hand that she can shoot comfortably on a regular basis, and possibly also carry. This gun would be funded with the sale of my West German P226, which she loves but can't hold properly (though that doesn't stop her from outshooting me with it). I've never shot a mini-auto that was pleasant enough to take to the range for fun and practice, so I began thinking of larger guns with smaller grips. Many were considered, but for one reason or another most were disqualified.

Then it hit me, what about the 1911? It's one of the thinnest guns out there, and it's worth a shot. I retrieved my Springfield Loaded from it's home and had her try it out. Sure enough, proper grip and it fits! Though the full size steel gun was a bit heavy for her (she's 5'3, 100lbs), I'm thinking a small lightweight would work great (if the recoil is manageable).

I started researching the two 3"-ish offerings from Colt, the Defender and the Officers model. Throughout my research I've noticed most people are partial to one or the other, with only a few liking both of them. The main factor is the width and depth (would that be the correct term?) of the grip. I'd love to hear peoples comments that have used both of them and see how they compare.

2. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

I have a LW Officers I can let her try out.

The short barrel gives them a bit more bark, but I think she'll do fine with it.

Springfield has that little EMP in 9mm that you might consider as well.

3. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Awesome, I'm going to take you up on that! Maybe next time you come to town we can visit the PSTC. Would you prefer a Defender over a ltw officers, vice versa, or would you buy whichever I found a good deal on first? Do you think this would be a good option for her? She's not very sensitive to recoil.

I looked at the EMP, but I can't seem to find one anywhere close to what I can afford.

4. wichaka

I think either would be ok, just make sure they haven't been messed with.
    When I come thru, I'll just drop it off to you, that way she can spend some time with it, and not feel rushed.

If you do decide to get one, I'll do a once over on it, and make sure it fits her hand properly. With different thickness of grips, main spring housings, and lengths of triggers, we'll get it custom fitted for her.

Ever think of a small frame revolver for her?

5. Joe Link

Awesome! Thanks a ton, that'd be great.

I've thought about a revolver for her, but she, like most new gun owners really wants an auto. From my experiences, it takes people a while to see the beauty in revolvers :D

Any comment on 3.5" vs 3"? Is the Defender grip shorter?

6. elcid11

elcid11 Beaverton New Member

what about a 1911 in 9mm???

Cheaper to plink with yet works just fine for defense etc.

:thumbup:

7. wildcard97

wildcard97 Portland, OR Member

My Dad just bought a Taurus pt111 in 9mm. Small enough for cary, yet still packs a wallop!! Shoots better tham I expected for a small gun. Just a thought!!
    Oh yeah, the recoil is VERY manageable!!!!

8. Cerberos

Cerberos Portland, OR New Member

Not long ago, I acquired one of the 9mm Colt LW Combat Commanders for my wife. Though the gun was originally built in the 70's, it was in remarkably good shape. With the addition of thin grips, it was a perfect fit for my wife’s hand. It's now on the waiting list at Heirloom Precision for some much needed upgrades.

9. Zhivago

Zhivago Everett, WA Member

If you are looking for a full size but lighter weight, check out Wilson Combat's KZ line. It's a 1911 but with a polymer frame. Comes in 9mm and .45 ACP and I think .40 S&W too.

It's also available in a compact (Commander) size

10. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

How about a commander?

11. frizzz

frizzz Clackamas Member

As good as Jenny target shoots she should stay with a 9mm. IMO don’t go with a .40 or .45 caliber or she is going to pick up same bad habits. Read up on the H&K P7M8 is pistol has less recoil than any 9mm on the market and yes it is a ugly gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvo6wGhKUrE

12. wichaka

I have access to a P7M8 that will be for sale, can bring that as well for her to shoot.

13. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

Someday I will own a Colt Defender.

They are beautiful.

14. jakk586

jakk586 Astoria, Or Active Member

have you tried the colt new agent? also give a look at the kahr pm45.

15. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

Might try the Browning Highpower too, most women love the grip and the easy kick.

I have owned all sizes of 1911s but it doesn't make me an expert. Each size has it's pluses and minuses. Weigh out what you want most in a 1911 and the choice will be obviouse. Small guns tend to kick alot but are easy to carry. Large guns are heavy but shoot straight (longer sight radius) and kick less. The smallest ones almost have to be tuned to the operator to get them to run right (amoo,spring etc)

jj

16. The Nik

The Nik Beaverton New Member

There's a glut of German police trade-in Sig 225's out there, and you can get one for $250 to $350. 8 round single stack 9mm, and it's double action (plus a decocker).

17. aflineman

aflineman Both South of Eugene and East of Portland. Active Member

This may be something you want to look at. I have seen many new shooters take to these and be able to shoot them very well.

18. hapuna

hapuna Seattle, WA Member

You might even try an XD 9. Its light and seems to have small grips