Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

1911 crushed plunger tube

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by absoluterik07, Sep 18, 2011.

1. absoluterik07

absoluterik07 Salem, OR Member

So I bought a very sexy Springfield blackened stainless loaded model yesterday and first thing I did was swap out the bushings for slim grips I have. I put tape around them as I didn't want to scratch the frame because they were staked which required a set of pliers and a vice grip rather than just a screwdriver. Needless to say I somehow crushed the plunger tube with the hammer cocked and safety on. This has effectively rendered the pistol useless. If I could remove the slide it wouldn't be a problem and I could replace this easily, however that is not possible so my question is, does anybody have any ideas on how to remove this? I know I cod just send it to Springfield but I like doing things myself and am fairly competent with the 1911 platform. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance, Erik

2. halmbarte

halmbarte PDX Active Member

Dremel it off. It's worthless as it is.

H

3. absoluterik07

Dremel off the plunger tube? Actually if I could cut in half to alleviate the crush I could probably get the safety to come back down and then remove the slide to replace. Has anybody else done this stupid move?

4. halmbarte

halmbarte PDX Active Member

If you cut it be careful not to go too far. Also, I'd tape around teh tube so you don't damage the finish if you slip.

H

5. rick

rick Close to Corvallis, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Is there enough clearance to snip off the end of the plunger with diagonal wire clippers?

6. absoluterik07

So I ended up taking a hammer and punch to push the pin back in. Problem solved. Now I just need to remove the plunger tube and replace! Hopefully I can get the pins out so I can feed some wire through and easily remove it. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

7. HappyRoman

HappyRoman Sherwood Forest Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If the saftey tube is staked on the inside, you may be able to remove it it a needle punch and careful prying. putting the new one in and restaking could be a bit more tricky

8. absoluterik07

I was able to easily remove the old one with pliers and CAREFUL prying with tape on the frame to prevent frame scratching. I just ordered a new plunger tube and a tool to install it from brownells so we should be good to go!

9. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

Came to post this, looks like you got it taken care of! Which plunger tube tool did you go with?

10. absoluterik07

11. absoluterik07

Just thought I'd report back that this tool made it insanely simple to replace! I now have a Nowlin plunger tube, colt plunger assembly, Wilson ringed recoil spring plug, and Wilson G.I. bulletproof guide rod, and VZ slim FRAG grips. This thing is a work of art! Now to shoot it... I'll post pics later just because I love it so much!

12. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

Thats the same one I have and just used. After reading the many reviews was a pretty easy choice!! New plunger, Harrison Design, is rock solid on my milspec!!