JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I bought a very sexy Springfield blackened stainless loaded model yesterday and first thing I did was swap out the bushings for slim grips I have. I put tape around them as I didn't want to scratch the frame because they were staked which required a set of pliers and a vice grip rather than just a screwdriver. Needless to say I somehow crushed the plunger tube with the hammer cocked and safety on. This has effectively rendered the pistol useless. If I could remove the slide it wouldn't be a problem and I could replace this easily, however that is not possible so my question is, does anybody have any ideas on how to remove this? I know I cod just send it to Springfield but I like doing things myself and am fairly competent with the 1911 platform. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance, Erik

Dremel off the plunger tube? Actually if I could cut in half to alleviate the crush I could probably get the safety to come back down and then remove the slide to replace. Has anybody else done this stupid move?

So I ended up taking a hammer and punch to push the pin back in. Problem solved. Now I just need to remove the plunger tube and replace! Hopefully I can get the pins out so I can feed some wire through and easily remove it. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I was able to easily remove the old one with pliers and CAREFUL prying with tape on the frame to prevent frame scratching. I just ordered a new plunger tube and a tool to install it from brownells so we should be good to go!

I was able to easily remove the old one with pliers and CAREFUL prying with tape on the frame to prevent frame scratching. I just ordered a new plunger tube and a tool to install it from brownells so we should be good to go!

Came to post this, looks like you got it taken care of! Which plunger tube tool did you go with?

Just thought I'd report back that this tool made it insanely simple to replace! I now have a Nowlin plunger tube, colt plunger assembly, Wilson ringed recoil spring plug, and Wilson G.I. bulletproof guide rod, and VZ slim FRAG grips. This thing is a work of art! Now to shoot it... I'll post pics later just because I love it so much!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top