JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have been researching adding a break to my 1911 and there are a lot of different options out there. The bushing compensators do not seem to really be working that well. A barrel with a compensator on it seems to be this best idea. Can I pick up a longer barrel, thread it and throw on a compensator? might save a hundred bucks or so. Is this too terrible of an idea? stop me!

my question would be why? For general shooting and .45 don't see the point imho. If building a race gun, have at it. I don't see them as necessary in this case (possibly)

But longer answer short- yes it MAY be about that easy.

The 45 caliber generally won't make good use of a compensator, because it doesn't have the pressure that the Super 38 and the like does.

One can load up the 45 using certain powders etc., to make use of a compensator, but for the most part they do very little.

Here is the subplot. I had wrist surgery a while ago, and while it is all doing fine, my light framed 1911 will make it a tad bit sore after a day of shooting. I researched it last night and it does not seem as if they work that hot, right in line with what you folks have said. I think for plinking I might just lower my loads a tad bit. Thanks.

Here is the subplot. I had wrist surgery a while ago, and while it is all doing fine, my light framed 1911 will make it a tad bit sore after a day of shooting. I researched it last night and it does not seem as if they work that hot, right in line with what you folks have said. I think for plinking I might just lower my loads a tad bit. Thanks.

Comps on handguns don't change the amount of recoil, they only effect the muzzle rise. In fact if you really want to make the comp work you add to the amount of recoil, or at least sharpen it by making the recoil impulse faster.

Let me be the moaner of doom ;)
....Adding that extra mass to the end of your barrel will effect the lock time, possibly leading to cycling failures. It may work just fine, but it may not.
Drop in barrels are usually made to the sloppiest tolerences top fit the broadest range of pistols. The barrel might well be a poor fit to your slide and/or bushing, leading to poor accuracy...

Something else you might want to try is a reduced radius firing pin stop, such as this EGW one.

It doesn't reduce recoil, rather it spreads the recoil over a fractionally longer time, so it's perceived as more manageable.

If I remember right the Storm Lake barrel and comp...the barrel was a semi-drop in and I had to fit the hood area. The comp I used, I also put in a reduced recoil spring. Shot great and no failures, ever. Won a lot of matches with it too. Best 45 I ever built and shot. My Sig P 220 super match shoots almost as good, but the way the gun is set up with a low center you don't need a comp...I've shot 38's that had more recoil. lock time was never an issue or a problem.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top