Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

1911 - Carry conditions and ambi safety - Help!!

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Spray-n-pray, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Spray-n-pray

Spray-n-pray Battle Ground Moderator Staff Member

Ok, here goes. First of all, I have to admit that I am a neophyte to the ranks of 1911 owners, so I don't have a lot of knowledge on these yet. I am contemplating putting an ambi safety on a Colt officer's (I am left-handed). Depending on what condition I carry this pistol in, it might not be necessary. If I carry in condition 1 (cocked and locked), I definitely want the ambi safety. I have been carrying it this way for a while now with the stock safety engaged. If I want to leave it stock, I could just go to condition 2 (uncocked, round in chamber), and not need the safety anyway. Like I mentioned before, I don't know a ton about these, but the pistol is a series 80, so I believe it has the firing pin safety. As far as I know, this would prevent a discharge if the hammer accidentally caught on something so that it would go to half-cock and not be released into the pin. Please correct me if I am wrong. My affliction of being left-handed throws a wrench into everything pistol related, and I can't seem to find the perfect solution for me.

So, I guess I am asking for opinions on whether I should leave it stock, put on the ambi safety, which condition would work best for a lefty with either configuration, or just sell the doggone thing and go over to the Glock dark side.

:starwars:

Oh, and what the heck, I will add a poll, just because they are so much fun. :thumbup::thumbup:

2. sasquatch98226

sasquatch98226 Bellingham Member

I am also a lefty, and carry an Ambi-Saftey in Condition 1 when I carry a 1911. If the safety has been installed correctly and not by a kitchen table dremel jockey, you are good to go. It should be some-what stiff, but "click" on and off with no mush. I also carry an M&P and don't worry about the safety at all.

3. Ben B.

Ben B. Eugene Member

I'm not a lefty, but if I was I'd install an ambi with positive retention on the right side, and either cut or Dremel down the left side thumb tab as needed.

4. d1esel

d1esel Ridgefield WA. Member

+1

5. C96

C96 Mid Willamette Valley New Member

I'm right handed, my son is left handed. He shoots quite a bit and has finally arrived at what Ben B suggested, put on an ambi and cut it down to the point that is mainly just a left handed safety. Too many holster/carry presentation issues with the full ambi. He has now gone over to the dark side and primarily shoots glocks these days. Glocks aren't as pretty as a nice 1911 but they sure do work.

6. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

If your holster is causing problems with the ambi, its not made correctly.

The proper holster allows the proper grip on the gun while still being in the holster, but causes no problems with the controls of the gun.

7. C96

C96 Mid Willamette Valley New Member

That's not been my experience nor my son's experience. If you use an ambi safety make sure all/any of your holster retention methods work with that safety. You may find a surprise.

8. wichaka

Although I understand the need of ambis for lefties, their weak point is the joint/union of the 2 halves.

If you get one, make sure its quality made.

9. Spray-n-pray

Spray-n-pray Battle Ground Moderator Staff Member

This is exactly why I am unsure of what I want to do with this pistol. I know there is a weak point in the system at the junction of the halves, but I don't really have much choice in that.

I purchased a safety directly from Crimson Trace with the right side machined intentionally smaller to accomodate a laser grip. The safety is by Willson Combat. As far as I know, they are one of the better manufacturers. Is this correct?

10. wichaka

Yes, they stand behind their parts...so they are a good choice.

Just make sure the left side does not come in contact with the grip panel, or it'll put strain on the joint and it'll fail in short order.