JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I could ask them, if you really can't make the call yourself :p
I am going to call Caspian and Foster's tomorrow at any rate to dig up information. I want to know if the frames come with standard ramps, or if they are cut for ramped barrels. So, I get to do a little phone tag... got three calls to make, pretty sure they are all east coast (2 of 3 at least)... means I wake up early.

Alright.
I got my hammer and strut pinned together, I got my mainspring assembly put together, and got my thumb safety's edges smoothed out, and filed off a casting line.

I also got my RMA number from Sarco, and arranged for a full refund. I called up the guys at Foster/Caspian... and the process was very painless. I got one of the frames with an integral plunger tube. Why not make the build easier by eliminating something that requires a special tool? I have about a 2-3 week wait on the frame... there are some machine processes that need to be done before it can ship, and then of course the actual transit time from VT to WA. The frame will be parkerized, so having a blemish or two really isn't a big deal. If it is something minor (and that is how they are described) it'll probably either be erased by bead blasting, or the parker coating. This pushes my build time back a bit more... but whatever. I think the upgrade in frame will be worth it.

I should have my slide shortly, and a nice recoil system from Midway. Maybe I can at least get my upper put together, and tested on my RIA Tactical lower.... provided that nothing proves too difficult in the fitting.

I've added extra layers of madness to the build. Foster had a contract overrun slide that I couldn't say no to. Stainless, looks a lot like a Sig 1911 slide... so that is being saved for a later build, or at least a separate upper. Thinking FLGR, regular plug, oversized melted bushing, and a Kart barrel for that one. It is very likely that part is going to end up on a different frame though, as I want to see the current build to completion with the parts, and ideas that I have for it.

I had to send some more parts back to Sarco. No surprise there anymore. Ordered a Olympic Arms bull barrel for my 1911 instead. NM broach rifled. Slide is at the Gunsmith getting machined for reverse plug, and getting a couple small parts fixed/fit at the same time.

I have some good parts now... ha ha ha! Wilson, Swenson, Wolff etc.

Alright...got my Foster frame. I also nabbed a stainless slide for a later project (cost me $75)...
Frame looks great, there wasn't much in the way of blemishes on it. Just a little flash inside, and some light tool marks on the scallops by the trigger guard. Nothing either a) I care about or b) couldn't remove with a small file in a couple minutes. So, I have given the frame a once over, and installed my grip screw bushings. I tested a couple other pieces for fit. I had to file some on the grip safety as it was a little wide. I think I have it now. Hammer needed a little 400 grit on the sides to get to nestle in smoothly. Couldn't feel any play in it. Mag catch fit right in, mags fit, very snugly. The Wilsons are a snug fit, the GI mag the same... however, the Kimber mag fits GREAT. Mainspring housing slides right in. Had to do a little filing on the tang of the sear spring. About the only flaw I could find was that the grip safety and MSH had a gap between them. Doesn't look like it would pinch me, but it's not the prettiest. Could run with it for a while and upgrade to a better grip safety. Thumb safety fits on ok, but I am having a hard time getting it to take cold blue (I smoothed it over with sandpaper a while ago to remove casting lines and sharp edges). I think things will go together well with this frame.

Does anyone know if someone makes a grip safety that retains the GI look, but has a speed bump?

Since the frame is already in the white, can anyone see a need to bead/sand blast it before going into the parker tank?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top