Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

1911 Beavertail Frame Jig

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by RVTECH, Oct 9, 2010.

1. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Ok - I am about to take the 'plunge' and modify my frame for a beavertail safety. Now I assume the jig is nothing more than two .50 hardened steel disks with a pin through them to shape the frame right? Reason is I want to make my own jig on my lathe and oil harden the disks. Thanks.

2. Samurai

Samurai Monroe, Wa. Member

Actually, the Ed Brown jig for a beaver tail is to re-locate the hole for the mainspring housing pin. The only jig for re-shaping the frame is the actual bobtail mainspring housing!
    Jason

3. Samurai

It sounds like you already know what the jig looks like, but I had one laying around so I snapped a couple cell-phone pics.

The jig itself
    IMG00281-20101009-1003.jpg

On a Rock Island frame
    IMG00282-20101009-1005.jpg

Hopefully this helps.
    Jason

4. RVTECH

Yes that does help. Now just so I am sure - the diameter is exactly .50 right? I mean obviously it must be to make the .250 radius but I want to be sure. Thanks.

5. Samurai

My calipers put it at .501.

6. RVTECH

Perfect! I'll be chucking up a piece of round stock soon. Now what what would be the 'best' GS for my first fit project?

7. Samurai

My opinion is Ed Brown, just cause I like all of his stuff. It depends on what you want for grip height, 'speed bump' or not, etc. I like the high grip that the Ed Brown safeties get you and the speed bump.

8. OregonJohn

OregonJohn Sutherlin, Or Bronze Life Member #1 Lifetime Supporter