JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some time to measure things out would be worth it, along with checking on barrel timing and overall wear patterns.

What's the wear look like on the slide stop pin?

IMG_1522.jpg
IMG_1515.jpg

For comparison, here is a 1911 that has seen a lot of rounds in a fairly short amount of time. There is no butterfly cut; you can see that the lugs are making solid contact on the verticle impact surface of the receiver. This is what you want your lugs/impact surface to look like - and if it has been built right, it will.

Do you have calipers to measure your slide stop? This slide stop is from the above 1911.

th_IMG_0268.jpg th_IMG_0270.jpg th_IMG_0272.jpg

Looking at the receivers impact surface, you see very pronounced impact points from the lugs - look at the bottom of the impact surface in the, "Bowl."

This is typical with frames that do not have the bow-tie cut...and many of today's frames do not have it. Including most Springfields, some Kimbers, and the list goes on and on. Attention to detail is what makes guns last. But the sad point is, most cut corners and we the buyer suffer for it.

For those who do not know what a bow-tie cut is;

Google Image Result for http://www.gungeek.cixx6.com/egumpher/barrelframeimpactsurface4.jpg

The "bowtie" cut will keep the lower end of the lower lugs off the VIS or Vertical Impact Surface. The lower lugs of the barrel should impact this cut at the point where the lower lugs meet the barrel...or very high on the lower lugs. if the impact is not at this point you will have barrel failure. Its not if, it is when...and usually within 2,000 rounds. And the impact must be on the upper lugs only...nothing else can take up the impact or failure will happen.

Can the overall gun be salvaged? The only way to tell for sure is to check things out.

Kentucky Windage, I saw your above post after I posted mine.

If I'm reading your post correctly, I will disagree with the total or whole lower lug impacting the VIS. Only the very top part, where the lugs meet the barrel should make the contact. If the frame has the bowtie cut as originally designed, the whole lower barrel lug won't be able to contact the VIS.

Look at the first photo of this thread; Weld up feed ramp, barrel lower lug impact area or neither? - 1911Forum

It clearly shows the bowtie outline impact surface high on the lower lugs, where they meet the barrel...exactly where it should be contacting, with the rest of the lower lugs not touching anything.

This is typical with frames that do not have the bow-tie cut...and many of today's frames do not have it. Including most Springfields, some Kimbers, and the list goes on and on. Attention to detail is what makes guns last. But the sad point is, most cut corners and we the buyer suffer for it.

The first Remington 1911 R1's did not have a bowtie and they had problems. Remington did not want to produce a hand fitted gun - they wanted something a little less expensive. Now their R1's have a bowtie in the VIS. The Ruger SR1911 has a bowtie - Ruger set out to produce a less expensive 1911.

Obviously, a receiver with a bowtie will be easier to fit so the assembler can pay less attention to detail. They don't have to pay less attention to detail but they can get away with it. SA Professionals and Colt Special Government Combats for example do not have bowties. These are high end 1911's and a lot of attention to detail has been put into building them. Likewise, Baers and Browns do not come with a bowtie - from what I remember anyways.

I suppose the lesson is, success can be had either way. If you are not using a bowtie, pay more attention than you normally would....if you were not already detail oriented.

Kentucky Windage, I saw your above post after I posted mine.

If I'm reading your post correctly, I will disagree with the total or whole lower lug impacting the VIS. Only the very top part, where the lugs meet the barrel should make the contact. If the frame has the bowtie cut as originally designed, the whole lower barrel lug won't be able to contact the VIS.

If the receiver has a bowtie it wouldn't make any sense for the lower lugs to make contact on the VIS.

The blueprints show a butterfly cut so it's not a bad thing to have it.

At any rate, I don't disagree with you.

Bowtie should be there. 1911's are classy pistols and deserve it :)

OP- did you end up finding up a barrel?

Iamme, no barrel yet, I will plan on getting the frame inspected over by someone with 1911 knowledge as I have none. If the frame is still serviceable I will shop for a barrel and someone to install it properly, along with new sights.

Iamme, no barrel yet, I will plan on getting the frame inspected over by someone with 1911 knowledge as I have none. If the frame is still serviceable I will shop for a barrel and someone to install it properly, along with new sights.

Was gonna offer up an older SA barrel, but this is the way it SHOULD be done!! I would have whatever smith you choose give her a bowtie to pretty her up!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top