JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi Guys,

Has anyone seen this before? Its an often used S&W E series 1911. The linkage does not move freely and it's binding the gun up. Took it apart tonight and found those impact marks and noticed it does not move without a lot of force.

1911 barrel marks.jpeg

I'd replace the barrel, but concerned the next one will get chewed up.

Thank you in advance for any opinions and/or experience in this type of issue.

It's all stock and the issue started about a month ago after probably 5-6 years of use. Guide rod seems fine, but maybe it needs to be filed down or replaced?

I've been searching the interwebs for awhile and not coming up with much. I am sure the barrels probably toast though.

That guide rod end looks a little thick, and the barrel extension looks like it wasn't machined fully! Both should be easy to fix, but I would have a competent gun smith work it over! As always, the best of the best, @Velzey is THE guru wizard level 11 with oak leaf cluster for being a hell of a nice guy! :cool:

From the pic, there's no corresponding marks on the guide rod.

That damage didn't happen by accident, something had to hit it with some force to cause that.

What's the rest of the barrel look like, along with the frame where the barrel goes to bed and the vertical impact surface VIS?

Hi Cerebus Group. Everything else looks great. Those are the only marks I can find other than some normal minor wear and tear from usage.

I'll probably see about getting it into a gunsmith and would be honored to have Velzey work on it. I'm sure his queue is pretty full these days, but we all need a working 1911 in our inventory right?

Great responses and thank you to everyone that has replied.

If there's no other damage anywhere with corresponding contacting parts, then it would appear it came from the factory that way, or if you bought it used...then the previous owner (s) may be part of the equation.

If @Velzey is booked up, I'd look it over...no charge.

My background comes from being trained in 1911s by Richard Neimer. He was a gunsmith with Detonics in Seattle back in the 80s until they closed their doors in the mid 90s. Then Richard was the chief pistolsmith at Olympic Arms until he passed. I also trained with Larry Vickers to get a different perspective.

I put on 1911 armorer classes at the Cerberus Training Group shop, and anywhere I'm requested.

My background comes from being trained in 1911s by Richard Neimer. He was a gunsmith with Detonics in Seattle back in the 80s until they closed their doors in the mid 90s. Then Richard was the chief pistolsmith at Olympic Arms until he passed. I also trained with Larry Vickers to get a different perspective.

My recommendation for Cerberus Group comes from a phone call where he helped me through a problem and taught me a ton, in like 15 minutes.
That I won't forget! I support the people that help and support me. :)

I don't have a 1911 in house to check a theory, closest I have is the old Detonics I built in Bellevue, so I'll throw this out without being able to confirm it.

I don't remember if its possible to install the recoil spring guide upside down but it would explain the damage, with close to 50 years of mucking with 1911's I just put the parts in the only way they should go. OP said
issue started about a month ago after probably 5-6 years of use
So... I would think this was due to improper assembly after last cleaning. The barrel and link can definitely be saved by removing the link and removing burrs on link and barrel and reassembling. Pay attention to orientation of link when removing as some should retain same orientation on reassembly.

Once the burrs have been removed the link should move freely as before the damage occurred.
Reassemble gun paying attention to proper orientation of parts and shoot it for another 5-6 years, If you can find any ammo. :s0155:

Your welcome to swing by the house and let me take a look at it for you find yourself in my neighborhood.:s0062:

..snip..
I don't remember if its possible to install the recoil spring guide upside down but it would explain the damage, with close to 50 years of mucking with 1911's I just put the parts in the only way they should go. OP said
...snip

nope, it won't. Only the rounded side will sit in the dust cover.

any chance you can punch out the link pin yourself ?

Hi Guys,

Has anyone seen this before? Its an often used S&W E series 1911. The linkage does not move freely and it's binding the gun up. Took it apart tonight and found those impact marks and noticed it does not move without a lot of force.

View attachment 781463

I'd replace the barrel, but concerned the next one will get chewed up.

Thank you in advance for any opinions and/or experience in this type of issue.
Check to see if your ramp is cut back far enough and some barrels have a circle area cut out right in front of the black for the barrel (feed ramp other side) like the nolen clark and Para Wilson I'm saying that wrong but measure that block and the channel that the link travels down

The damage dings are circular like the end of the guide rod. Maybe this damage is happening during disassembly or reassembly. Bad things can happen if heavily handling the pistol with it partially disassembled. Especially when the slide stop pin has been removed.

The area of the edge of the lugs is small so you may not be seeing marks on the corresponding surface they are contacting.

IMO, if that is a full length guide rod ditch it. They do nothing but make disassembly harder.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top