JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Approx 30 years ago I bought new a Auto- Ord 1911. I left it in the box and just recently pulled it out to use.Cleaned it up and went out to shoot it. The problem I'm having is, out of every clip I will get 3 or 4 failure to chamber. It extracts and starts to chamber but is not completing it. It stops 3/16 to1/4 inch short. Sometimes I can push the slide foward to finish sometimes not. I checked for roughness on the guns sliding surfaces and noticed some on the ejecter and stoned them smooth. I also tried to streach the recoil spring in case it was set from sitting over the years. All to no avail.I guess I will get a new recoil spring and try it unless someone one has a idea.

Mine did that, I had to have the ramp redone, and polished.. I'm not sure what he did exactly, but I never had another problem with it . I kinda miss it, hope the Gent I sold it to is still on here. Hows the old girl doing?

Dirt, oil or gunk in the chamber, or weak recoil spring maybe? I would have said it was a magazine problem and it still might be. Try it with just a few rounds in the mag vs. fully loaded mag etc... Feed ramp could be an issue also. Is the problem with ball ammo or JHP? Some guns dont like to feed JHP ammo very well before they get broke in, a couple hundred rounds of round nose FMJ ball ammo should get things synchronized a little better.

I'm using ball ammo and the gun is kleen. I tried it with the clip with 2 or 3 rounds and no difference. I'm thinking of getting a new recoil spring first and then I'll have to think it's a ramp thing. Who does that or is it just a polishing thing I can do?

Try the easy fix, new recoil spring first. Then if it still persists, take it to a good gunsmith in your area for the feed ramp tuning if needed. Polishing the feed ramp is something you can mess up pretty easy and ruin the gun.

Another thought I just had is that your extractor could be tweeked out of shape catching the case head as it is feeding, check for burrs on the extractor too.

I did think of the extractor and ordered a new one, it should be here in a day or two. They don't seem to have alot of spare parts at Auto-Ord. But I am trying to talk to someone from the factory. I'm hoping they can help.What ever happens I will put it on here so if others have the problem maybe it will help them. If any other ideas please keep them comming. Thank you.

The gun is no good and you should send it to me rather than keep it around and put yourself through the stress of ownership. :cigar:

My springfield did the same, a slightly tweaked extractor made it work better. a Wilson combat extractor finally made it run right.

I heard back from the company and they can't help because Auto-Ord was purchased by Kahr Arms and they won't do anything with older guns. I'm still waiting for the extractor when it comes in I'll try it. And Reggie Dunlop you just never know. Whichaka, It does chamber sometimes. Maybe just maybe it's a possesed gun or I'm just an old fart that doesn't know what he's doing. Keep the ideas comming and I'll keep you posted. Thanks

Wichaka, I did pull the extractor and it still does do it. Possesed I say, Possesed !!!! I think it's time to give myself a swirlie in the toilet and start fresh.

What kind of ammo ya using?....hollow point or wad/semi wad cutters may be causing your problems.I would guess it would be the feed ramp.My combat commander did the same thing and I polished the feed ramp and it would take everything after that.The feed ramp will have ridges/rough cuts.The older models of yesteryear like yours were not in tune with today's finishing.The older ones were functioned with FMJ before going out the door.Nowadays they pretty much smooth out the ramps now.I guess they got tired of fixing the feeding issues over the years..LOL..Just check the feeding ramp,I bet it is what ails ya.

If the magazine is sitting in the frame properly, the round should only contact the frame ramp at about the top 1/4" or so, then bump up into the chamber. Unless the round is really hitting low on the frame ramp (which is easy to check), am thinking 3-point jam...but a good pic will solve the mystery.

Test 3;

Take out the recoil spring and guide rod, put the barrel back in the slide along with the barrel bushing, and assemble on the frame with the slide stop hanging down vertical.

Retract the slide about 1/2"+ or so, so the muzzle is forward (sticking out) of the slide. Put the muzzle against something hard, like a table edge and push on it. This forces the barrel to link down, and forces it to rest against the frame as it should.

With the barrel forced in link down, the slide stop should move/swing free without any resistance.

Standin' by.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads