JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do you change out your springs in your 10-22 when you switch to Stingers?
yes, have a full set of Tony Kidd springs

actually, I have three 10/22, all tuned and barreled for different rounds

one is tuned for CCI Stingers for varmints and has the heaviest Kidd spring installed

another has a 1/9 barrel and a sub sonic spring set for sub sonic target loads

Certaindeaf, anytime you want to open a thread on 10/22, let me know

I just built a 3rd in March of this year, had a 15 year old 10/22 new in the box

stripped the paint from in the receiver, polished it and put in a high tech Tony Kidd bolt

heaviest spring Kidd makes, just for shooting Mini mags

smoothest 10/22 I own

you will note the Kidd bolt has a reduced upper bearing surface, slick as wet stuff through a goose

Tony Kidd bolt.jpg Tony Kidd bolt 2.jpg

just purchased a 1911 9mm this week
I was expecting a mild shooting pistol since it's a Govenment model
with 147 gn Lawman ammo, it kicked worse than my .45
check the OEM website and they recommend 115 gn for the 12 lbs factory recoil spring
tried this and found a very comfortable, low recoil target pistol, minimal muzzle flip, even one handed
ordered a spring tuning pack from Wolff so I have the proper spring for each of my ammo selections

how many retune their pistols for their ammo or handloads - or do you select ammo for your individual pistol?
Wolff make spring tuning pack for over 60 pistols, so I know there is a market out there
I own two Armscor 1911 9mms. Due to the shortage of powders I recently went to the 147 grain bullets. I am now down to 3.2 grains of Red Dot which gives me over 2000 rounds per pound of powder. I changed the 14 pound factory recoil springs for the Wolf 12 pounders. This gives me reliable operation at low cost.
The bullets are powder coated 147s out of an 8 cavity MP mold. Accuracy is very good.

7EC7A60F-7385-4438-8394-20238538567E.jpeg 03A48ED0-AFB2-4D0A-B718-8F8EEC353236.jpeg FFE914D4-C0EA-434C-9DC9-0C0C9647AC7A.jpeg

I own two Armscor 1911 9mms. Due to the shortage of powders I recently went to the 147 grain bullets. I am now down to 3.2 grains of Red Dot which gives me over 2000 rounds per pound of powder. I changed the 14 pound factory recoil springs for the Wolf 12 pounders. This gives me reliable operation at low cost.
The bullets are powder coated 147s out of an 8 cavity MP mold. Accuracy is very good.

View attachment 1038618 View attachment 1038619 View attachment 1038620
thanks, how is your recoil with the 147?
I also have the Armscor 1911 9mm, the price was just to good to pass up

we had a break in the rain this afternoon and I got out to test these new springs and 3 types of ammo
Rock Island 1911 Ultra FC 9mm pistol
full length guide rod
18 lbs main spring
skeletal hammer

Remington 9mm 115 MC pf 128
Winchester 9mm Nato 124 pf 144
Lawman 9mm 147 gn pf 141

I found with a blue buffer installed, I could not sling shot the slide on a loaded magazine, the slide with buffer were tight against the frame, but did lock back
removed the new buffer
12 lbs recoils spring - worked well with 115 gn, the spec sheet states the Rock Island 1911 full size 9mm comes tuned for 115 gn
15 lbs recoil spring - will not lock back on last round on any ammo - it is listed for +P ammo only
14 lbs recoil spring - works well with 146, controlable muzzle flip, no muzzle dive, locks back on last round, good pattern of ejection
14 lbs recoil spring - works well with 124 Nato, controlable muzzle flip, no muzzle dive, locks back on last round, good pattern of ejection

now, the 14 lbs spring will cycle with 115, but erratic ejection pattern, notable muzzle dive and will not lock back on last round

accuracy was good, but grouping left - has full adjustable target sights to compensate

I'll use the Lawman 147 to break in the pistol with my existing ammo, then I'll switch over to 115 gn for more controllable target shooting

a full size1911 9mm is truly a joy to shoot

Interesting thread, glad I read it. I've got a Colt Government Model in 9mm. I've never had a bit of trouble with the spring function, in fact, the idea of it never occurred to me. I mostly shoot moderate hand loads, jacketed bullets in the 115 gr, 124/125 gr., and some 130 and 135 gr (actually a .357 Sig bullet). I have a couple of boxes of 147 gr. but haven't gotten into those. I don't think I've ever fired anything hot in this gun, that's not me.

Glad to know I've got a 14 # spring, gives me a reference point.

I've got a little recoil buffer around here somewhere, left over from an AMT Hardballer decades ago. I might play around with that in the 9mm Colt.

I have a little buffer in my remaining SAI Inc M1A, it's much appreciated in that rifle.

The Colt 9mm doesn't like bullets that have too blunt of a tip. Conical okay, but some flat tips no go. Ditto my Walther P.38. The Glock 19, I found one flat tip it didn't like. The Smith & Wesson Model 59 will eat anything at any power. Strangely, I've never given that one a thought either, and I should because it has the alloy frame.

Glory be, I just went downstairs, found the 1911 buffer right off, and popped it into the Colt 9mm. Now I'll have to get out and see how it works with several different loads. This will give me an excuse to do some shooting.

I have a couple extra 1911 main springs left over from my .45 tuning 2 years ago

at some point I'll replace the main spring to see the difference

our NW rains are in now, but someone told me 1911 don't melt in the rain

will get some more round down it this afternoon

as long as I was tuning the 1911 9mm, I pulled out my Springfield .45
I had removed the ILS last year, so I can use conventional 1911 springs
now this is with commercial reloads 230 gn hardball
I ended up with 15# flatwire recoils spring, with buffer, and 21# mainspring
I was surprised how flat it shoots now, as compared to the standard springs
very little recoil and no muzzle dive going back into battery
I do have BB self defense 185 gn+P ammo for it, and it will shoot these with this spring set, but I have an 17# recoil spring for the +P loads

so, having time to spend researching 1911 tuning, I just learned the radius on your firing pin stop affect the spring set you use in you pistol

there are small radius stops, large radius and flat bottom. 9mm and .45 use a different radius

depending on your power loads, one uses a stop with a difference radius, in conjunction with your springs

I didn't know this until today - just another variable in your 1911 tuning

so, now that we have looked at springs, has anyone addressed the radius angle on their firing pin stop?

Browning changed it during development of his original 1911design

I have a full radius in my 9mm now, but have a small radius and flat bottom on order

we will see!!

Springfield announced today they are making a modern version of the old FN High Power
will add one to my collection as soon as I find one
would be interesting to fire a High Power next to a 1911 9mm

I run 147 Speer Lawman and G2 in my Colt Government using the 14# recoil spring on a solid guide rod. Zero issues.
after 500 rnds of breakin, I settled on 14# recoil and 18# hammer springs
kept the stock firing pin stop with a full radius and full length guide rod
using Metalform 1911 9mm 10 rnd mag
will shoot everything from 115 to Nato 124 and 147 with no issues
the Rock Island 1911 9mm Ultra comes with 12# spring, which I did not like
shooting 115 feels like shooting my Ruger Mk 1 .22LR
this 1911 9mm has become my go to range pistol!

note: new out of the box, the 14# spring would not fully cycle with 115 gn, I shot 500 rnds of 147 to break it in

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top