JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

9mm or .45acp for a 1911

• 9mm

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • .45 acp

Votes: 56 75.7%
  • carrots

Votes: 9 12.2%

• Total voters
Generally I'm in the camp that your first 1911 should be in 45. But I'm also in the camp that everyone should have a 9mm 1911 simply because they are so much fun to shoot. In your case, however, since you're talking about a competition gun, it probably makes sense to go 9mm first. But every good collection should have at least one 1911 in 45 acp.

Been shooting 1911s since I was able to shoot my dads. I am 63 and still enjoy the 45 ACP 1911s but when I get to shoot a buddies 9 mm 1911 I just love it, all the 1911 fun with out the recoil.

I have two of each and I love them all. Surprisingly, the two Rock Island 9mm I have are really accurate and function flawlessly with the Wilson Combat ETM 10 round mags. On the other hand, my SR1911 and Para Ordnance Expert are my favorite and most accurate shooters. I don't think you'll go wrong with either caliber.

I just picked up a STI Duty One 9mm to use in USPSA single stack ( because my TRP doesn't qualify ).

Out of the two you listed I would go Colt competition all day long. It is heavier so it will manage recoil better. The EMP is not just new, it is redesign around the smaller cases. So finding several aftermarket parts could be a challenge.

With 9mm you get 10 rounds, with 45 you only get 8 rounds according to the rules.

Everyone says you get better scoring with major, I say why not learn to shoot better, then it won't matter what caliber you shoot.

Just checking back to see if you had decided on a pistol yet. For what it's worth, I just picked up a Springfield Range Officer in 9mm and it is a very nice pistol for the money. I bought it used, but wouldn't hesitate to pay retail price for one after having shot it.

I have many M1911s in .45 ACP and only one in 9mm. The 9mm version is really soft shooting because of the weight. But, I prefer that my M1911 be in .45 ACP just like John Browning intended.

That being said........

If I wanted a 9mm Browning designed firearm.....I'd shoot my BHP.

004.jpg

Aloha, Mark

I have many M1911s in .45 ACP and only one in 9mm. The 9mm version is really soft shooting because of the weight. But, I prefer that my M1911 be in .45 ACP just like John Browning intended.

That being said........

If I wanted a 9mm Browning designed firearm.....I'd shoot my BHP.

View attachment 317357

Aloha, Mark
Love Hi-Powers, a really nice Belgium Hi-Power was my very first firearm. Ways back in '85... Sadly, it's no longer in my
possession... Perhaps one day, when I find a worthy example, I'll once again be an owner/operator...

Just checking back to see if you had decided on a pistol yet. For what it's worth, I just picked up a Springfield Range Officer in 9mm and it is a very nice pistol for the money. I bought it used, but wouldn't hesitate to pay retail price for one after having shot it.

Sorry, for some reason this thread fell off my alerts. No, still haven't pulled the trigger (pun intended). Birthday was this week so when I get down to the toy store. Last time I was in NW Armory they had a gently used Range Officer in 9. Maybe you snatched that one up. It's between that and the Colt competition right now. If I go .45 it'd be the Ruger.

Sorry, for some reason this thread fell off my alerts. No, still haven't pulled the trigger (pun intended). Birthday was this week so when I get down to the toy store. Last time I was in NW Armory they had a gently used Range Officer in 9. Maybe you snatched that one up. It's between that and the Colt competition right now. If I go .45 it'd be the Ruger.

Well happy birthday! Mine was the 4th. I bought mine from a member here, so maybe the one at NWA is still there.

If you'd like to, I'd be more than happy to meet up somewhere and let you shoot it.

this was the dilemma I was faced with at the shop.

It was a choice between a DW Guardian (was used and still 200 bucks more) and the SA EMP 4.

I chose the SA EMP 4 because of the 10 round capacity and cheap ammo.

Greetings,

I've been singing the 9mm 1911 praises for years. I haven't shot a .45 1911 in quite awhile, but I put a good number of rounds down range every year in 9mm, and it's certainly one of my very favorite pistols to shoot.

Forget all the non-.45 blasphemy or as 'JMB intended' business. Take a look at just how popular the 9mm 1911 has become, particularly in the past few years...most reputable manufacturers are offering some variant for it.

My recommendation is that if possible, go to a rental range and shoot both calibers. Its hard not to have a full sized 9mm 1911 not put a smile on your face if you like the platform. Everything to like in a 1911 with almost virtually no recoil with you typical 115 gr. target ammo.

The one caveat is that 9mm 1911's can be a bit more finicky than the .45 versions. There's simply less energy margin to work with. So tinkering with mags and/or recoil springs might be a small hurdle you might have to get over. I say might...as they're becoming more popular, manufacturers have really been refining the pistols.

I am a fan of the Springfield versions...Series 70, fully ramped barrel, nice build quality, lifetime warranty, and probably the best factory custom shop in the business.

I'll probably start putting a few bucks every paycheck away for the new Range Officer 'Operator' 9mm Springer just released recently, maybe get one in 2017. That's a nice pistol all the way around, right out of the box. I could see one with a matted frontstrap, Heinie sights, tool steel ignition system, and a hard chrome finish being a really sweet shooter indeed.

BOSS

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads