JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all

I just purchased a new Chiappa 1911-22 from Gun Pro. I had been saving for a 22, but had been looking at the Ruger 22/45 and the Browning Buckmark. Everybody I talked with said go with the Ruger, well I tried to but on several different firearms the magazine would not eject when released by the magazine release, I would have to actually use my fingernail and lift it out. I looked into the Buckmark and like the feel of it but I ould have to remove the sight bar to take it down.

So just by chance I walked back into Gun Pro (Eugene 44th and Main in Springfield, Great guy) and see this Chiappa 1911-22. Looks just like the old GI 45 I ask to see it and ask a few questions, felt pretty good, not the prettiest pistol but for 270.00 if it performed it would be worth the money. I did some internet research and most of the comments were good and had several comments about the accuracy.

Well I just had to buy it.:) So today I get to the range and it was a fun little pistol.
I had 20 minutes to put some ammo down range, it ate 150 rounds real quick no major problems, this was right out of the box. I did have 2 stovepipes, one that was just hanging barely that I whiped away and was off and shooting again. The other I actual had to pull back on the slide because id did not fully eject the spent casing. Pulled the slide back about an 1/8 of an inch and tilted the gun clockwise position and the spent cartridge fell right out. I could see the next round was already feeding just fine and dropped the slide and started shooting again. It was a fun little gun. Rapid fire was just as fun:s0155: and accuracy was good at 25 ft from weaver stance.:) I will file the front site alittle to bring the grouping up where I like it.

How about you guys any experiences with the Chiappa? Would like to hear them

Not too bad for the price but the plastic mags are so so. The barrel is fixed to the frame also which somewhat helps in the accuracy but not ideal to me.

The GSG 1911 is by far superior and breaks down very similar to a standard 1911 along with having metal mags and similar weight. The GSG is about $60 more on average but for the extra money it is worth it. Also the parts are mostly interchangeable with 1911 parts where the Chiappa is not.

You might try some different ammo next time. Lots of .22s are finicky about which kind of ammo. Some will not like Stingers others are not fond of Maxi-Mags. While I usually try CCI, I have never had a problem with Winchester. Your performance was good and using it some more might be all it needs, but you could try different stuff while breaking it in.

I got try my 1911-22 out today for the first time, and surprisingly really liked it. It was surprising because I certainly didn't feel like a quality made gun, and field-stripping further reveals that it's not top-notch workmanship. In fact, the gun feels more "cheap" than any handgun I've ever owned. The only ammo I had on hand was Remington bulk (the worst of the worst)... I knew it would be a bad idea to shoot that stuff but I tried to manually cycle it through the gun just to be sure it would feed and eject. It seemed to feed 100% of the time but would not eject 80% of the time, not necessarily a sign of bad things to come but certainly doesn't bode well either. I was pretty sure I'd just bought a jam-o-matic. To actually fire the pistol, I bought some CCI Stingers and some Mini-mags. The manual recommends a 300-round break-in using quality ammo. The gun performed beautifully. It was surprisingly accurate, and in the first 150 rounds had only one stovepipe (just barely), and that was towards the end of the shooting session. For a pinker, that's reliable enough and the gun is very likely a keeper. I do get a chance to teach new shooters quite often and think it's a fantastic tool for that.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top