JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am planning to put my 1943 Remington 03A3 into a Straight stock. It is currently in a Scant stock. I was wondering if buttplates are the same between the two types of stocks? A quick search online reveals there are several types of buttplates available. I'm not sure what the difference is between these.

I have spent some time collecting authentic USGI parts to restore this rifle as best I can. I realize it's not going to be perfect, but I don't want anything to be glaringly wrong, either.

Many thanks in advance.

A butt plate for the 03A3 will fit either a scant or straight stock.

As a side note...I have seen many arsenal re-worked 03's and many are what we would call "mixmasters"...the Army did not care about future collectors , they just wanted the rifle to be overhauled and working...
Andy

Different eras of 03's had different butt plates...the NM Springfield rifles also had different style butt plates..
As to the "Why"...
Different contract specs..? , Results of field experience...? , Ease of machining / production...?

Plus there are some slight differences in the Smith Corona Parts and Remington parts ...this was due to two different contractors making the same rifle...
Andy

Andy has it right, as usual. I worked in an arsenal in the CZ and one of my projects was the refinishing of 200 1911A1s that belonged to the MPs. I stripped the Pistols completely; including the Plunger Tubes and Grip Screw Bushings. Those two parts went into the recycle bin but everything else went into the Parkerizing Hot Tanks and were refinished. Once the parts were done I re-assembled the 200 guns taking care to make sure the everything was properly fitted. I then took them to the Range and with a little help WE test fired all of them. I had brought a few extra parts with me and was able to repair the ones that NEEDED it. The Pistols were then cleaned and placed in storage until needed. And, NO, I didn't spend any time matching Slides and Frames or any other parts.

That's the way we did it. The M-16A1s need a bit more "Matching" of parts -- another reason they are a PITN!!!:(:(:(

Basically early 03 BPs were smooth.
NM BPs had Full checkering.
03A3s are either SC or RA.
Like Andy said, minor differences and either will work and be appropriate
UNLESS you are wanting to make it FACTORY CORRECT ,
but then you best serve That category by rendering it
BELIEVABLE....:):)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show