JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I thought you might like to see my three-digit serial number m/96 rifle. I bought it about six or seven years ago - it mostly matches, but is a bit of a puzzle.

Carl Gustafs Stads Gevärsfaktori [Carl Gustaf State Arsenal - lit, rifle factory] converted 55,080 m/1896 long rifles to m/1938 short rifles in 1938–1940. In addition to that Husqvarna Vapenfabriks AB produced 88,150 new m/38 short rifles between 1942 and 1944. Giving a total of 143,230 m/1938 short rifles

Mine got its muzzle threaded, to take the blank firing attachment that shredded the wooden bulleted blank round, and what appears to be a brand new stock with only one arsenal stamp, that of Carlsborg, where many of the m/96 rifles were converted. The blank stock disc rounds up the WTHs, which are many. But in spite of all that, it left the arsenal much the same as it arrived - an m/96. Perhaps it had been intended to go to the FSA, but never made it. None of the FSA rifles, however had, nor needed, a blank firing attachment. Hmmmmmmm.................

1595423558145.png

The little rear precision sight is the so-called Wehrmann peep sight, made in Germany for the old 'Landsers' of WW1 to do their old military style shooting with an issue-style Mauser rifle, but with a little something to help their tired old eyes. They are VERY rare, I'm told, and I've only ever seen two of them here in UK, one of which is mine.

Last Edited:
Brass screw holding the disc in? Not original/arsenal maybe? Curious why the crown stamps behind the trigger guard are so far apart. Any I've looked at are close. As far as threaded muzzles go, I figured the arsenals just scooped up any rifle nearby, or where ever there was a stock pile, when they got the urge to do some threading? My 1902 M38/96 is un-threaded.

I'll be watching what the REAL pros at Gunboards say about it!

Here is the response from noted Swedish Mauser expert, Swede, over on gunboards.com -

Your rifle was rebuilt at Carlsborg Army workshop & got a new barrel threaded for a BFD . The same Crown/CB should be on the barrel between the receiver & rear sight . Looks like it was unissued , so no bore disc was attached . The blank brass disc was probably added by a collector . Nice beech replacement stock as well . I would call it a new condition rebuilt rifle . Should shoot great . Nice addition to your collection .
There ya go, Mike! :)

Beautiful wood, did you buy it in that condition?
Makes mine look like a Pinto with 200,000 miles on it!

Yes but. There's an attraction, for me, in the story within that stock. The Swede Mauser didn't have a whole lot going on in far away places, but they look to have been handled a lot within the country. They have a relatively easier history to follow and a lot of markings to make that easier.

If you're not aware of this site it's interesting.
House of Karlina,Gevär 1896,Swedish Mauser,m94 carbine,1894,1896,Luxembourg Model 1900 rifle

Then if you really want to dig in to the history...

Yes but. There's an attraction, for me, in the story within that stock. The Swede Mauser didn't have a whole lot going on in far away places, but they look to have been handled a lot within the country. They have a relatively easier history to follow and a lot of markings to make that easier.

If you're not aware of this site it's interesting.
House of Karlina,Gevär 1896,Swedish Mauser,m94 carbine,1894,1896,Luxembourg Model 1900 rifle

Then if you really want to dig in to the history...

Yes, of course to both! I might just invest in the Jones' book, although I understand that there is a new revised edition out.

As an aside, my fathers' ancestors came over to Ireland from Sweden, hence our family name which, in Old Irish, means raider or plunderer, and our genetic make-up - 78% of mine comes from South Eastern Scandinavia, probably the eastern side of Scania. Explains our looks, too.

Threading happened to rifles that were deemed trainers I believe.
I have a M96 dated 1907 and re-arsenal post war that also received a new barrel and is not threaded. The edges on the lands are much more square. It also got a new beechwood stock.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top