JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i have a 1894 winchester that was bought new by my great granddad,the serial# puts it in 1898.my dad sayes the gun had a new barrel put on it by my grandfather.im wondering should the gun have originally came with a octagon barrel,or is my dad wrong about the replacement.the barrel it has now says 30w.c.f and all the other normal stuff to date it back then,from receiver to tip it measures 25 1/2 in.but ther is no serial number anywhere on the barrel its self.the mag tube and forearm wood all fit with the length of the barrel.it seems to me if it originally came with a octagon barrel the forearm wouldnt have the same round shape.the gun is in real bad shape big chunks of wood missing out of the stock the mag tube has alot of dents and scratches and the front fore arm cap/barrel band [not the typical mdl94 barrel band] is really pitted.the good news is the gun shoots great,accurate,not very smooth action but after disassemble its apparent why.a whole lota rust.but the receiver and barrel metal is in good shape.i would like to restore this gun if it is not the original barrel.does anybody know if there are still parts out ther like the dovetailed front barrel band,the forearm cap,mag tube.i always thought model 94s were the same but the old ones have alot of differences.just the difference in the quality of the action parts was amazing compared to the 1980's 94's.sorry for the long write up but a gun this old deserves what is right.i know from pics and the shape its in its shot its fair share of deer and elk.thanks for the help guys.happy shooting;)

FK,

Because of barrel erosion due to corrosive ammo, many prewar Winchester 1894 rifles/carbines had to go back to Winchester for re barreling. If this was done, you should see a circle proof stamp on the top where the barrel and receiver come together. Barrel and receiver should both have a stamp. A rifle owner could request a different barrel shape/caliber for an additional fee.

There were a lot of variables on the mod 94s and it's really difficult to know exactly what was correct and original on yours but there are a couple things to consider. You are correct in your observation of the forearm as it would be much different with the octagon barrel. Does the wood on the forearm appear to 'match' the buttstock? This is not definitive but if it appears to be of the same grain and age it is probably original and came with a round barrel. Does yours have a saddle ring? Not all carbines had them but I believe all did prior to 1925. I wouldn't go for a complete restoration but definitely replace what is needed for safety and proper operation. Like it or not Ebay is a great resource for Mod 94 parts. I recently bought a complete set of new, pre 64 internals for $75.00 on Ebay. Good luck with it.

ok thanks guys,i do have a circle on the barrel but not the receiver.so was it normal to have a 25" barrel?and if im right that would be rifle length correct?the gun does not have a saddle ring or a hole for one.the wood does appear to be the same.so what i need is the crescent style butt-stock,9 5/8 in. for-end,25 1/4in.mag tube the forend cap, front dovetailed mag tube ring,and a full screw set.im having a heck of a time finding rifle length stuff,there seems to be a lot of carbine stuff.is the carbine buttstock the same as the rifle?and was it only the rifle length that came with the forend cap instead of the barrel band or is that an era thing?thanks for the help.

To begin with the term 'rifle length' does not really apply with Winchester 94s. You have a 'Model 94' and not a Model 94 'Carbine' which were only in 20" barrel length with the typical barrel bands. Standard Model 94s could have had a 22", 24" or 26" barrel and had the front forearm cap. Typically the buttstocks are the same for all rifles and you can find new, unfinished crescent style fairly reasonably and there is no shortage of the crescent buttplates. The rest of what you need is where it might become tough but keep at it on Ebay. I have never looked into it yet but member MarkW has told me about a pretty good Winchester collector forum he frequents and that might be a good starting point.

If only the barrel has the circle mean it was re barreled by(most likely)a gunsmith with a new factory barrel. My Winchester Model .06 22 rifle that has been in the family for over 85 years is like this.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top