1873 Sprinfield...

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by AndyinEverson, Apr 16, 2017.

1. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Thanks guys ... Again I say :
    If any of you are up this way or see one of our shows , stop by and say "HI".
    We can always try to find time to talk about old guns and shoot 'em...:D
    Andy

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017 at 5:58 AM
  2. etrain16

etrain16
    Oregon

I haven't been up that far north in ages, but maybe some day. I'd love to see your full collection.

ageingstudent and AndyinEverson like this.
  3. tac

tac
    UK, Oregon and Ontario.
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

My only 45-70 is a High Wall Winchester Model of 1886. Of course, this being the yUK, and .45-70 still being made by many makers, I can't have any kind of Trapdoor, old or new, unless I go through the nausea of applying for one on my Firearms Certificate. Amazingly even the VERY first of the .45-70 Trapdoors, made in 1873, is classed just like a brand-new Barratt M109...

And since I live in a county where the Chief Constable is carrying on the motion of one of his predecessors - a gun-hater [just what you need in the second-largest RURAL county in the UK] - I would have to sell a gun I have an replace iit in a 1-4-1 'deal'.:mad: x 100

Whinemeal, I have two Sniders waiting for me to do something first.....

tac

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017 at 6:43 AM
    ageingstudent likes this.
  4. ageingstudent

ageingstudent
    Fairview, OR
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I empathize with your frustration.

DunRanull likes this.
  5. jordanka16

jordanka16
    Albany, OR

Something like that makes me appreciative to still live in the US, even with them slowly eroding our rights in Oregon, it hasn't come to that. Mine is even old enough it isn't considered a firearm.

ageingstudent and F2CMaDMaXX like this.
  6. Gaucho Gringo

Gaucho Gringo
    Vancouver, WA

Sniders, the British version of the Trapdoor. Their timelines and development runs roughly parallel to the Trapdoors. Although the Sniders kept the larger .577 bore size of the muzzle loading Enfields, they transitioned to the Martini-Henry rifle using the 577-450 cartridge starting in 1874. But of course you know all this. I have often wanted to buy both a Snider and a Trapdoor over the years but for some reason or another have not. but I still think maybe i will.

7. tac

tac
    UK, Oregon and Ontario.

Yup, all true. Funny thing is, if I'm over 18 and not a convicted criminal having served 6 or more month sentence, I can walk into a militaria dealer and walk aout with as many Martini-Henrys and Sniders as I can carry.

The reason is that they are covered by Section 58 of the Firearms Act, which states that if ammunition is not made for commercial sale then it is an 'obsolete' calibre.

The tricky bit arises if I want to shoot it, having somehow, made ammunition for it [VERY difficult as I explone, by reasons of needing an FAC to buy powder and primers]. It has to be registered as a Section 1 [Rifled] firearm and logged on your FAC. Just like a brand-new Section 1 firearm...

Hence my lack of nice Buffington-sighted Trapdoor - I can't even BUY one without a license to do so.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr x 1000.

tac

DunRanull and etrain16 like this.
  8. ageingstudent

ageingstudent
    Fairview, OR
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

My goodness. I need to read up on the history of gun control and confiscation over there. It sounds like a bad horror film.

F2CMaDMaXX likes this.
  9. tac

tac
    UK, Oregon and Ontario.

Not confiscation as we understand it, Jim.

Knee-jerk reaction to the inevitable results of lax police oversight with regard to known loonies, and allowing them to legally have guns in the first place.

Read up - Hungerford Massacre.

Result - Compulsory hand-in of ALL centre-fire rifles and carbines and £150.00 compensation [yeah, right. How much do you think my HK PsG1 was worth - it went to Belgium instead].

Read up - Dunblane Massacre.

Result - Government buy-in of every cartridge-firing handgun on mainland UK, all reloading gear, cases, primers - the lot, unless you needed them for something else that they didn't want.

Dozens of smaller companies making and selling gear for the VERY popular practical pistol comps went out of business. A couple relocated to South Africa and are doing VERY well. Compensation for the failed businesses has yet to be paid, twenty years later.

Although only just over a hundred thousand handguns were handed in - EVERY SINGLE ONE, in fact - it cost the government, ie. the taxpayer, over £150,000,000 to process.

Please read THIS - Dunblane Massacre Resource Page - Evaluating Britain's handgun ban

tac

ageingstudent and etrain16 like this.
  10. DunRanull

DunRanull
    southern Colorado, small city bordering where mtns

:eek:Reading this just makes me sick to my stomach... I consider the Brits our closest friends in this world but this really makes me doubt my judgment... didnt realise it was this bad over there...
    :s0170:
    Looks like shotguns and .22 rifles are still "legal"? Registered/licensed?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 5:58 AM
  11. Stomper

Stomper
    Ungovernable!
    Become Ungovernable! Gold Supporter

I mainly clicked on this thread because I wanted to know what a "Sprinfield" was.... LOL!

Nice looking OG "sporting rifle" in the OP!!

AndyinEverson and Certaindeaf like this.
  12. tac

tac
    UK, Oregon and Ontario.

See new thread - 'UK, what's allowed' in general topic.

tac

ageingstudent likes this.
  13. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf
    SE Portland

This was back in the day before their numbers were decimated by the hair hunters. Caught in the wild in their natural habitat. those were the days.. sigh

Buffalo-Springfield-3.jpg

Gaucho Gringo and Stomper like this.
  14. Stomper

Stomper
    Ungovernable!
    Become Ungovernable! Gold Supporter

Such a wanton waste! :confused:

Certaindeaf likes this.
  15. Ketoujin

Ketoujin
    Oregon

Tac,

Yes, may it be an object lesson to those of us here that incremental incursions on the public rights are always the most insidious.

I've long been desiring a Trapdoor one of these days as well. A neighbor has an M1884 long rifle for sale at the moment, albeit with a broken hammer spur but that isn't anything that a few judicious calls to Gun Parts corp or Dixie Gun Works can't fix. They are highly interesting rifles in one of the world's longest-lived calibers. Regarding this last I sill see Siamese Type 46/66 Mausers - although I never like seeing any military long arm altered from original caliber or with its wood "sporterized" - newly converted to .45-70 from 8X50R and 8X52R Siamese fairly regularly which is a testament to the round's staying power.

Best,

Gunnar

tac likes this.
  16. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.

A "Sprinfield" is pre-coffee typing / spelling for "Springfield"...:eek::p:D
    Andy

17. tac

tac
    UK, Oregon and Ontario.

Like a Muaser, Lea-Enfield, Wincester, and that good ol' standby 'the under-leaver'....

tac