JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My Sharps has finally arrived. I found this in Dad's closet over Christmas. I took it to an expert. I passed inspection!
It's a 1863 Sharps Carbine. Modified by the army after the civil war to take the 50/70 gov. Many were rebored but mine still has 6 grooves.
It needed a new tumbler, but that has been taken care of. The bore is a bit pitted. Probably never got cleaned when the tumbler broke a century ago.
Can't want to order some ammo and put some lead through her!!!

058ED39F-5ED9-4D21-92BC-8CBC96D8EE82.jpeg A94C64BD-40C5-4DE3-BA23-5FFE2A0A15C9.jpeg 18D23A90-D9F8-472D-AB15-53299D18E913.jpeg 48037935-7E11-4005-B38A-5D449A6B6D6E.jpeg 7031DC3E-9816-4DC0-B4C3-3DD92452ADFF.jpeg 10416F78-0A60-4722-8782-956824B1CA75.jpeg

Handloading for the .50-70 is fairly easy and straight forward...
And I wouldn't really worry about the bore...I seen worse that still shot well.

A good cleaning with Hoppe's "Black Solve " other BP solvent may surprise you with the results.
In any event....nice looking Carbine .
Andy

Likely you may have serious accuracy problems shooting modern loaded ammo as all I found for mine were bullets sized for modern reproductions and were undersized for original bores. The modern reproductions are several thousands tighter bore and the bullets fired in original bores won't stabilize and will keyhole. I didn't want to get into casting oversize bullets so just called it a wall hanger.

Yup, listen to Andy and the other mavens here - your .50-70 Govt carbine WILL shoot modern .45-70 Govt ammunition, but with a degree of INaccuracy that will astound you. Modern .45-70 Govt bullets are ca. 457 in diameter - YOUR bullets need to be .515 diameter.

1584822277911.png

Good luck!

Yup, listen to Andy and the other mavens here - your .50-70 Govt carbine WILL shoot modern .45-70 Govt ammunition, but with a degree of INaccuracy that will astound you. Modern .45-70 Govt bullets are ca. 457 in diameter - YOUR bullets need to be .515 diameter.

View attachment 672624

Good luck!
I wouldn't even consider shooting a 45/70 out of her. There is one guy who sells the 50/70, Buffalo Arms. My plan was buy some premade to get me started on a brass collection.

I wouldn't even consider shooting a 45/70 out of her. There is one guy who sells the 50/70, Buffalo Arms. My plan was buy some premade to get me started on a brass collection.
I tried the Buffalo Bore 50\70 in my original Sharps and they were undersized for the bore and keyholes at short range. I later learned about the modern 50/70 bores being smaller and that seems to be what the custom ammo is loaded for. Try and measure your bore and compare to ammo specs on Buffalo Bore site. You may have better luck.

It is a tough call. $70 (plus shipping) for 20. so call it $100 And I keep the brass, worth about a buck apiece.

Or get the gear to make some. Press and dies have to be $250. Powder, brass, caps, bullets (if not a die and lead) and assorted lube etc. All that has to put me around $400. I'm sure I'll need something else so let's say $500

So it starts to pay for itself at about 100 rounds. But this beauty hasn't been shot in a century. I like the idea of reloading, but maybe after I've put a few rounds through her. Idk. I'm still thinking.

I tried the Buffalo Bore 50\70 in my original Sharps and they were undersized for the bore and keyholes at short range. I later learned about the modern 50/70 bores being smaller and that seems to be what the custom ammo is loaded for. Try and measure your bore and compare to ammo specs on Buffalo Bore site. You may have better luck.
I am wondering that since mine still has six grooves and was not rebored by the army when it was modified if my barrel may be on the big side anyway.
Admittedly I am anxious and excited to shoot her. But I don't want to ruin it either.

You are exactly on the right track here. Those cartridges you spend hard and big money for here will educate you toward what you might load for yourself. Man sellin' 'em is selling a good generic load that works in MOST guns. If yours does, all you have left is refinement.

If ya got the money buy 50

When you are waitin' for 'em to get here (startin' NOW) , Clean the Bejeezus outta that bore! Buy new solvent and go ahead on 'er!

We'll talk.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads