JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just picked up this 1863 Pedersoli Zouave and I have no percussion caps or black powder. I know it takes 2F black powder and that's it.
What size of percussion cap does this rifle take?
The lady I got it from says she knows nothing about the rifle.
What sizes percussion does this rifle take? I'm hoping I can find some and the 2F also.

It will take 'musket' style caps - either 'Top Hat' style or regular.

I get better accuracy shooting mine with 3F as well.

Max recommended powder charge is 60 grains for the Zouave as well.

As noted above Musket caps are what you need...they do indeed look like a top hat.
I like 2F ...but 3 F will work.
60 grains is a good working load.
A .15 patch a .570 round or a .58 "Minie" Ball ( Bullet ) , without a patch , should do the trick.
Abdy

I had to google the model and .... neat-o. 'gratz. :D
5fa017bc18ade339657012.jpg

As noted above Musket caps are what you need...they do indeed look like a top hat.
A .15 patch a .570 round or a .58 "Minie" Ball ( Bullet ) , without a patch , should do the trick.
Thanks for all the helpful information for sure I'll use it. I just ordered all the cleaning stuff I need from Track Of The Wolf. Over the phone even. The flask and powder measure is on the way from them too. Took some searching for the powder, none available here in Southern California so I ordered it online and the GOEX is on the way. Yes I ordered the FF. I read one thread that the FFF burns really fast. Discussion about pressure spike and I just want to be one of those average joe shooters. It rained down here can you believe that?!👍

Abdy
BTW Andy is that .150 thick patch? I honestly didn't know you can shoot a round ball out of that rifle. Does the ball go straight? Buying this rifle was buy pure accident. Seen some military stuff at a yard sale and the lady said "You're interested in this stuff?" I bought the cans, canteen and other stuff then she asked if I was interested in things inside her house. Seen more things I bought and she comes in from a room holding something in a sock. She handed it to me and I knew it was a rifle. Took it out and said how much? The lady says is $400 too much??? It looked almost new to me so I drove to the ATM for $$$$ I used a shotgun swab to clean the bore and it came out pretty clean surprisingly. Polished up the brass oiled up a few times and that dry blueing looks amazing. Looks new to me. Well almost 😁

$400 sounds like a good deal to me.... :D

Shooting patches come in .10 , .15 and .20 ( most commonly at least )
A .15 patch is a good all around fit for most rifles ....without being too difficult to start down the bore.

In the case of your Zouave....it was designed for a Minie Ball ( conical bullet )....with that said...

I have owned or shot many a Zouvae , from different makers , and most of them worked well with a patched round ball....and yes the ball will go straight...the patch engages the rifling and helps spin the ball....

And yes the above advice will cause a fuss with other muzzle loader shooters...as it goes against "commonly held notions and wisdom".
Andy

Last Edited:
Does the ball go straight?
Yes they do and quite accurately as well.

I recently went 'back' to shooting mine with rounds balls because my favorite bullet, the Hornady Great Plains 425 grain HBHP is no longer available. Hornady dropped both the .58 and .54 calibers in this bullet so until I find a substitute I'll probably be on round balls for a while.

I am currently using a .012 thick patch and you may have to experiment to find a 'happy medium' between patch thickness and ease of loading as bore diameters can vary.

I have another question. Is beef talo the same as beef lard?

Tallow and lard are two fats which are derived from animal products. Tallow is processed from suet, the raw fat of beef or mutton. Lard is made from pig fat. Thus, the key difference between tallow and lard stems from their source; tallow is derived from mutton or beef whereas lard is derived from pork.

Lard is renderd fat that usually comes from pigs....
Tallow is renderd fat that comes from other animals...like beef , deer , etc...
So not too different....as fat is fat.

T/C bore butter works well for bullet / patch lube...
As does deer / beef tallow , bear grease /tallow , Crisco , Olive oil , thinned beeswax.....
Andy

The problem with using animal fats for patch lube is in the cold weather they stay 'solid' and in hot weather melt and get thin and greasy.

Over all I have found cooking oils to be the bet patch lube as they stay consistent regardless of the weather and work well with the patches just 'dampened' with the oil and not with it dripping off of them.

I typically cut a stack of patches and put them in an empty cap can and pour enough oil to cover them and let them sit a few minutes to soak up the oil then I take the stack out and squeeze them between thumb and forefinger to remove the excess oil and just leave them dampened.

Last Edited:
Lard is renderd fat that usually comes from pigs....
Tallow is renderd fat that comes from other animals...like beef , deer , etc...
So not too different....as fat is fat.

T/C bore butter works well for bullet / patch lube...
As does deer / beef tallow , bear grease /tallow , Crisco , Olive oil , thinned beeswax.....
Andy
I'm thinking I seen beef lard sold at a Latino supermarket and for a big block of it was very inexpensive, like $3 for a big slice. It was slight brown that's why I looked at it.
My bullets just came in the mail and need to lubricant the grooves. What is it a 50/50 mix for the mini ?

I use 60/40 Beeswax and Crisco - but I live in a mild location where temps rarely get over 75F.

Have you nobody that you can share all this with? Half an hour with Andy would get you sorted out for sure. I'd like to help but I live about 150 miles from Belgium.

I'm thinking I seen beef lard sold at a Latino supermarket and for a big block of it was very inexpensive, like $3 for a big slice. It was slight brown that's why I looked at it.
My bullets just came in the mail and need to lubricant the grooves. What is it a 50/50 mix for the mini ?
I'm using a "dab" of bear grease and deer tallow mix....
I just add more when it runs low in my tin...I add a bit of both , then set the tin next to a campfire or out in the sun to mix together....

So I ain't so scientific in my mixture...in my experience for most general shooting , as in club meets , plinking and hunting...the lube mixture does not need to be too exact.

Thompson Center Bore Butter is commonly available and works well...As does Crisco.

With that said...a big block of beef lard should last you a long while...you don't need much to lube the grooves of the bullets.
Andy

Last Edited:
What brand of bullets did you get ? Were they NOT pre lubed?
No the bullets were not pre lubed. So I bought some SPG. That should be delivered tomorrow.
I bought some #11 musket caps but my fried said they may be too small. I'll keep them anyways.
Is there a certain size I should look for?
Still learning about black powder. I'll be heading to my friends club Saturday and each the guys shoot black powder.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top